Crankset swap question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
I have an FSA Omega MegaEXO crankset (https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/cranksets/road/omega-crankset) that I want to swap onto my new bike. The new bike is currently equipped with a Shimano 105 compact crankset. It has a BB86 bottom bracket. The shimano spindle width is 24mm and the FSA 19mm. Is it possible to do a straight swap or do I need to swap out the bottom bracket as well?

Reason for the swap is I want better gearing for gravel and bikepacking. The FSA is 46/30 subcompact.

D

Deleted member 1258

Can you just change the chainrings on the new bike?

D

Deleted member 1258

It will take a 46 tooth ring, and I suspect it will take a 30 tooth ring as well, I haven't tried to put a 30 ring on mine, my East way is 10 speed Tiagra, it came with 50/34, it now wears 48/38, and I've had a 46 on it in the past.

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
It will take a 46 tooth ring, and I suspect it will take a 30 tooth ring as well, I haven't tried to put a 30 ring on mine, my East way is 10 speed Tiagra, it came with 50/34, it now wears 48/38, and I've had a 46 on it in the past.
33T is the minimum for Shimano hollowtech cranksets. I already have a 46/30 crankset, which from the sounds of it either needs spindle adapters or a new bottom bracket, which is vastly cheaper than buying new chainrings (as the chainrings on the 46/30 are 120 bcd).

Top Bottom