Crap service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ok, thanks vickster.

I do wish folks would put their approx lo on their profile* it's hardly pinpoint stalking data.

* And not those super clever cryptic clue things.

For anyone else

Take a bow mr vaidas and his mech skills.

Saved a couple of my bikes, nice modest chap to deal with, very close to an overground stop so even worth travelling some distance for.

http://www.vaidasbicycles.com
Maybe he doesn’t know how or doesn’t wish to. I removed mine for a very specific reason, nothing to do with CCers stalking however

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
£200 for a service?? On a push bike? I really cannot understand why everybody doesn't do their own maintenance. A lot of issues can be sorted at home at nil or very little cost, in less time than the owner will spend taking the bike round to the LBS - and they aren't going to be bike-less for a couple of days either whilst they wait for the LBS to get round to looking at it, and then have to waste more time going back to pick it up afterwards. Bikes aren't exactly complicated machines.

I'm dead against the whole idea of "servicing" a bike. A car will continue driving reliably and all you need to do is change the oils and filters and renew worn brakes but a bike is a delicate assembly of parts, which needs constant tweaking as things wear. If you allow it to reach the stage where it needs a full refurbishment you're guilty of neglect.

I agree - up to a point. Most stuff, like brakes and gears adjustment, is something you should be doing on an ongoing basis as soon as the lever travel gets too great or you aren't getting clean gear changes. You certainly shouldn't be leaving it until the brakes or gears stop working or until you get to whatever month in the year is the anniversary of when you bought the bike. However, certain other things, such as headset, BB, and wheel bearings, really should be stripped down and regreased on a regular basis BEFORE they get to the point of running completely dry and feeling rough.
A badly-maintained bike is NOT enjoyable to ride, and frankly, anyone who lacks the mechanical sympathy needed to keep their bike in good order, DESERVES to ride a horrible maladjusted bike. Even my salvaged ones, that may look like complete sheds, still ride properly and have functional brakes and gears.

Got to agree with you above skipdiver .£200 for a service (ie fettling, lubing etc) strikes me as somewhat bonkers. And by handing it over to someone else to fix it seems to me that you are never going to develop any feel for the thing between your legs.
As the revered brucey over on the other place says there are some key bits on a bike that if kept well maintained and lubed can last your own lifetime.

snorri

Legendary Member
This thread illustrates the problems arising as a result of the influence of cycle sport on transport cycling . We in the UK have been brainwashed by the cycle industry to accept a product which provides better performance at the expense of reliability and low level maintenance.
The derailleur system fitted on the vast majority of bicycles to be seen in bike shops and bike web sites in this country is a disaster for anyone who just wants a bike to get a few miles to and from the shops or work, and has no desire to become a part time cycle mechanic..

Ajax Bay

Guru
The derailleur system fitted on the vast majority of bicycles to be seen in bike shops and bike web sites in this country is a disaster
Ehh? Disaster in what way?
Vast majority are 8 speed or less and have indexed changers.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The shop should have spotted the worn cable though (and possibly so should the OP) but the OP is new to bikes - some folk aren't interested in how things work, including cars, so prefer to have an expert fix it.

That's all very well if the shop can afford a trained mechanic but all too often they employ kids with little experience who are distracted by their phones, a loud radio, a stream of favour-seekers and tyre-kickers and so on. I do know of a couple of local mechanics who I trust but there are far more who I wouldn't dream of handing my precious bike.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The derailleur system fitted on the vast majority of bicycles to be seen in bike shops and bike web sites in this country is a disaster for anyone who just wants a bike to get a few miles to and from the shops or work, and has no desire to become a part time cycle mechanic..

Back in the days when hub gears were limited to three, or at a push, four ratios, derailleurs made good sense for the sporting or touring cyclist who needed a wide spread of ratios. They still make sense to the cyclist who needs the ratio spread at an affordable price, because a budget derailleur set up is miles cheaper than a precision-engineered internal hub that can offer the same range of gears.
What I actually see as pointless though, are the really expensive derailleurs, because at that price level, you might as well go for a Rolls-Royce quality internal hub gear offering multiple ratios and save yourself all the maintenance and risk of impact damage knocking it out of kilter. However, the cycle industry makes a lot of money selling replacement cassettes, chains, and rear mechs to weekend warriors, whereas they would not make so much selling them a new hub gear once every 20 years!
No-one is forcing us to use derailleurs though, I have more than one 3-speed roadster fitted with Sturmey AW hub gears that are perfectly fit for purpose when used for local utility cycling. For just knocking around on flattish terrain for trips of 5 miles or less, they are my preferred option. However, even a six-speed derailleur beats an AW 3-speed hands down when I need to get up a hill or battle against a headwind.

ozboz

Guru
Got to agree with you above skipdiver .£200 for a service (ie fettling, lubing etc) strikes me as somewhat bonkers. And by handing it over to someone else to fix it seems to me that you are never going to develop any feel for the thing between your legs.
As the revered brucey over on the other place says there are some key bits on a bike that if kept well maintained and lubed can last your own lifetime.

200+ was for more than fettling and lube as you put it, I got the bike , a ‘97 full suss mountain bike second hand, it had been well used , so was in need of a full service , Perhaps we use the word service when we should use overhaul , cassettes , chainwheels wear , chains and cables stretch regardless of how much oil you put on , they will wear , the wheel bearings need repacking , shocks rear and front forks need seals etc to be renewed given time, It seemed a good idea to have all jobs done at the same time, I was let down , I was answering the OP ,

Last edited:
Top Bottom