Crap Sky Ride Circuit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
This year's Birmingham Sky Ride route has just been announced. Part of it goes up a fairly steep hill (Edgbaston Park Road) that's unsuitable for children or beginners. Do the people who plan these routes actually cycle along them first?
skyride.jpg

I don't know the area - why is it unsuitable for children or beginners..?

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Do what others have done, email the council and ask for improvements. There can be public liability problems if they havent surveyed the route

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't know the area - why is it unsuitable for children or beginners..?

Well, the OP says 'fairly steep hill' - just the sort of thing that puts people off cycling, and Sky Rides are supposed to be inclusive and encouraging. I've heard similar opinion on other forums, with a suggestion that the route's been changed to avoid inconveniencing motorists too much, and thereby cutting out a really nice park....

Well, the OP says 'fairly steep hill' - just the sort of thing that puts people off cycling, and Sky Rides are supposed to be inclusive and encouraging. I've heard similar opinion on other forums, with a suggestion that the route's been changed to avoid inconveniencing motorists too much, and thereby cutting out a really nice park....

an ascent of 123ft in just over a mile - am I missing something..?

Eddie

Kids weigh nothing, so they fly up hills. You would need to be seriously seriously unfit adult to struggle with that.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
I never said it was - but that's the total ascent. Still can't see what the issue is...

123ft is about the same height as a 12 storey tower block, the road is rather steep in places.

123ft is about the same height as a 12 storey tower block, the road is rather steep in places.

Not sure what that proves - that roads can go up as well as down..? If you're scared of climbing 123ft in a mile, then don't enter. I'm sure there will be plenty of other people (kids included) who are willing to tackle such an awesome ascent....

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
If you're scared of climbing 123ft in a mile, then don't enter. I'm sure there will be plenty of other people (kids included) who are willing to tackle such an awesome ascent....
Like I've said before - the road doesn't consistently ascend 123ft in a mile, parts of it are quite steep making it unsuitable for children and beginners. These are the sort of people that Sky Ride is supposed to be aimed at.

Then there's the question of accelerating down the hill. I suspect many concerned parents will make their children get off and walk. That part of the road doesn't have any pavement either, there are stone walls immediately adjacent to it. Not the sort of thing that you'd want your kids hitting at speed.

Eddie

I think you're seriously underestimating kids and beginners! I live on a steep hill, the kids who play on it range from about 3 or 4 to about 10. All of them are fine going up and down the hill, they actually get up to a decent speed. Even when they do fall off, it's a few tears and all is well - it's a part of growing up/riding a bike.

What do you want? A totally flat course covered in pillows incase someone falls off? Anyone who can't handle the linked course needs to take a serious look at themselves! Besides which, why are you worrying on behalf of anyone else? Can you manage the course? If so, where is the problem?

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I have to say, that route is rubbish, but not for the same reasons as the op. Most of the roads ( with the exception of calthorpe rd) are quite narrow, so once they have the contraflow going it's going to be very difficult with hundreds of cyclist going up and down. I expect it will crawl to a near standstill in parts. The route last yr was really good (apart from one bit through the market) as the pershore rd is nice a broad and made the whole thing very spacious. I expect they got a lot of flak from various 'motoring' groups about that closure, so have gone for a much smaller route, which is a real shame as this is the only event in Birmingham using closed roads for kids to cycle on.

I did last yr's event with my two boys in a trailer, but will miss this as I'm doing a sportive in France.....hmm after today, maybe I should sport some Wiggo inspired 'burns' to annoy the locals :laugh:.

EDIT : according to bikehike each lap is 6.44miles long (not the 6.6km the map states) and total ascent is 345 feet.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
Can you manage the course? If so, where is the problem?

Sky Ride is supposed to encourage people to start cycling, not discourge them. This year's course will do exactly that. It's been tucked away on unsuitable side-roads and doesn't go anywhere near the city centre. It makes me wonder why they bothered.

Then there's the question of accelerating down the hill. I suspect many concerned parents will make their children get off and walk. That part of the road doesn't have any pavement either, there are stone walls immediately adjacent to it. Not the sort of thing that you'd want your kids hitting at speed.

I'm sure there's a job waiting for you at the HSE. In the real world though, kids bikes have brakes - and if kids do not know how to use them, then they should not be on the ride anyway.

Top Bottom