Crappiest bit of Cycling Tat You've ever wasted your money on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Respro 'The Hump' Hi-Viz waterproof rucksack cover.

Nowhere near big enough to cover a rucksack of the size it claimed it would. Poppers for the retaining straps came off, leaving holes. Waterproofing none too clever, and started flaking off on the inside quite quickly. Then I stupidly washed it in the machine after 6 months and it shed every last bit of the white waterproof lining into the machine, so I binned it. It would have been binned not long afterwards anyway, the way it was going - I just hastened its demise.

(Got a Creative Reflectives cover for Christmas and it's great. It's huge and covers the rucksack with expansion room to spare; it's not let a drop of water through yet and there are no silly popper-studs to worry about breaking. There's also a handy waterproof pocket on one side and a webbing pocket on the other.)

OP
OP
Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat

Just remembered a couple more:

Northface Windproof Jacket. Windproof apart from the gaping cuffs that funnel cold air up your arms.

Conti Supersonic MTB tyres and inner tubes. Fast yes, but your average speed comes down somewhat when you have to repair a puncture every week. Or three time in one day as I had to once. Valves tended to come away with the pump.

OP
OP
Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat

And as much as it pains me to say - Howies 8 Miler Jacket. Bearly showerproof let alone waterproof. Having said that, I returned the jacket thinking it was faulty and they replaced it with not one but TWO more jackets. Still can only cope with a shower but Howies are a brilliant company and should be patronised as much as you can.

Tynan

Veteran
not being funny but what do you expect from something that costs £5 that you expect to handle 100psi plus?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
goo_mason said:
Respro 'The Hump' Hi-Viz waterproof rucksack cover.
I use one of those, and mine's been fine (so far, that is).

(Got a Creative Reflectives cover for Christmas and it's great. It's huge and covers the rucksack with expansion room to spare; it's not let a drop of water through yet and there are no silly popper-studs to worry about breaking. There's also a handy waterproof pocket on one side and a webbing pocket on the other.)

Will have a look at these if my Respro cover goes the same way as yours though...

bonj2

John the Monkey said:
Any £5 mini pump. An absolute waste of time if your tyres run at more than 20 psi.

don't agree, actually, I used my axiom inflateair over xmas and it pumped my tyre up quite hard for a minipump with not much effort - not sure what pressure but way more than i would want to have my mtb at (i would guess about 60psi).

bonj2

The best bit of cycling tat I bought was my first bike, a cheapo full-sus mtb that I bought for £50 second hand and rode to work on for months before deciding I liked cycling and wanted to upgrade to a better bike, that I then sold on for the exact same sum of £50!

Tynan

Veteran
User482 said:
Mine are completely waterproof. Just a shame that both zips have now broken...

really? out of the box? I've worn them in rain twice, damp socks in light rain, and proper squishing around today in bad rain, they're only a week old too

is that the dinky sip that does up over that folding panel? they do look a bit lightweight

and that tiny velcro tab that I imagine is supposed to keep the ankle cuff tight is ludicrous useless

I might try some sort of waterproof spray I suppose

one of those space grip things with the flimsy band for going round the bars.
never stayed in place unless the place was hanging downwards.
with a better band it may have been ok.

U

User482

Tynan said:
really? out of the box? I've worn them in rain twice, damp socks in light rain, and proper squishing around today in bad rain, they're only a week old too

is that the dinky sip that does up over that folding panel? they do look a bit lightweight

and that tiny velcro tab that I imagine is supposed to keep the ankle cuff tight is ludicrous useless

I might try some sort of waterproof spray I suppose

We might be talking about different models. Mine are an older version of these: http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5125&cPath=502_619

Anyway, they're crap whatever. They are genuinely waterproof, but they went back under warranty to have the zip replaced, and now at 2 years old, both zips have bust again. Not impressed when they cost over £90. I've never minded spending the dosh to get good clothing, but it irritates the hell out of me when it turns out to be no better than stuff half the price.

i've got those chillis in the photo. they're pretty waterproof with no zips.
i got them at a knockdown price.
trouble is water runs down your legs behind the cuff when you've been out for a while.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Haven't bought anything that I've thought was bollocks recently. Last disappointment was some DHB overshoes because they were cheap. The zip broke first time I used them.

I even used, and liked, White Lightning for a while. Until it started raining. I might still use it if I lived in California.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
bonj said:
don't agree, actually, I used my axiom inflateair over xmas and it pumped my tyre up quite hard for a minipump with not much effort - not sure what pressure but way more than i would want to have my mtb at (i would guess about 60psi).

Good to hear - I've used a few (well, hope springs eternal) and not been impressed at all - will bear the Axiom in mind.

Top Bottom