Crash & theft insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Black knight

Hi,

Just taken delivery of my new road bike. It cost me three times what I paid for the last one.

It's a full carbon frame and i'm a bit concerned about crashing and damaging the frame.
I'm also concerned about it being targeted for theft though do take precautions.

I've seen CTC and British cycling mentioned but that seems to be more for liability or third party claims. Is there a good value option for the enhanced cover I need or am I better of putting money in a pot (which is my usual preference)

Should add I'm new to cycling and don't do that many miles. All mileage is leisure and on country roads.
If I do stop anywhere I'm sat with the bike or it's locked to something permanent. TBH my main concern is falling off for whatever reason and damaging the frame. Genuine concern or am I being overly cautious?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
A while ago I posted a message about different types of insurance, and when I get around to editing and reposting Shaun's going to make it a sticky post.

Most people don't seem to worry about accidental damage insurance - if your bike is damaged it's more likely to be someone else's fault (and therefore claimable off their insurance) than no-one's fault. Only the very high-end policies seem to include damage as well as theft in the perils covered.

Oldspice

Add it too your home insurance. Inform them of the cost of the bike and all the bits and bobs.

400bhp

Guru
A while ago I posted a message about different types of insurance, and when I get around to editing and reposting Shaun's going to make it a sticky post.

Most people don't seem to worry about accidental damage insurance - if your bike is damaged it's more likely to be someone else's fault (and therefore claimable off their insurance) than no-one's fault. Only the very high-end policies seem to include damage as well as theft in the perils covered.

Oooh controversial. ^_^ [goes and checks policy - had assumed my bike was covered for accidental damage...]

Good idea on a sticky btw.

OP
OP
B

Black knight

Hmm, yes it's unlikely but £1500 is fair amount of money to lose too.

I'm happy to pay the premium as long as i can get something fair and reflective of the risk.
I suppose the 'other' way to do it is just insure it for theft.

Top Bottom