Crash Virgin no longer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bennydorano

Veteran
First crash today. On a 5 man ride 2 riders came down in front of me, no way to avoid it I went straight into the back (actual body part) of one of the riders and sommersaulted over him landing side on on the road - detatched from clipless pedals mid air. Defintely a shock to the system, felt nauseous for a few minutes but was lucky enough to be able to carry on - with momentum shattered off course. The look of horror on a motorists face behind us was priceless (first thing I saw), must have looked bad:B)

Could have been a lot worse as bike was relatively unscathed. Hip not good thou, sure to be a bit sore in the morning.

Ouch, I got caught out twice in the summer :blush:. The first time, the bloke in front of me accelerated off to draft a truck, the truck went straight over a speed cushion without needing to brake, he went straight over the handle bars :ohmy: Luckily there was a bit of a gap to me but his trailing leg brought me down. The second time was mostly my fault (if not entirely) I was at the front of the group and somebody was coming through to relieve me but they came through the middle and I wasn't used to that and got caught out :blush: clipped his rear wheel, bounced on the tarmac and into the verge. That took the wind out of me but I think the adrenalin saw me through (it happened after circa 15-17miles on this ride) a couple of day later :B)

OP
OP
bennydorano

bennydorano

Veteran
While unavoidable on my part, it'll probably boost my concentration levels if nothing else. Just to really rub it in we had a hail storm on the way home as well:cold: Bad day all round.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
You have to be very careful on group rides. The most regular one I go on is every Tuesday throughout the year. We do about 30 miles in winter and 40 in summer.
At the good times, there is about 20/30 of us strong so you do have to watch out for people passing and changing places.
You also have to take into account that people could be in the wrong gear for a hill, so you have to take extra care speeding past them.

Group rides are fun though. You get to have some nice chats with people as well.

Fell off three times at Cannock Chase today, damn sludge! Two were nothing falls, the third a biggy at speed - I sympathise with your hip, can feel the same on mine! Funny how the first thought is 'shoot' and the second 'on no the bike!'

Lucky I was wearing a helmet or I would have died. :fishing: ;)

Blue

Legendary Member
An ice pack may help. Look on the bright side, that's 'your crash' out of the way and it wasn't too bad. Hope the other fallers are relatively unscathed too.

Group ride falls can be nasty. The last time I was in a group where a fall happened I didn't go down, but I can still see my front wheel ripping towards the head of the guy that went down first. What with the melee that was going on in the pack, with bikes and riders going in every direction, I still don't know how I missed the guy and managed to stay upright.

Top Bottom