Crashed And No Idea How!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red23

Hi,

I'm a fairly new road cyclist, only been cycling about 12 months during which I've only covered around 500 miles.

I've recently had an accident that has completely knocked my confidence and am at a loss as to how it happened, so reluctant to get back on my bike.

I'm currently riding a Canyon Endurace AL, it is only around 4 months old, only done a couple of hundred miles so far.

My accident happened whilst turning left, my back wheel went from under me and the next thing I knew I was having a neck brace on and put onto a spinal board. I didn't have a helmet on at the time...not intentional, just forgot rushing out the door. I've suffered some pretty bad head, face and shoulder injuries as a result.

The road was pretty dry, temperature was around 7 degrees, no ice, no sign of any diesel or anything, tyre pressure was 90psi, I wasn't leaning into the corner, wasn't braking, and was pretty slow turning, around 9-10mph.

My family don't want me back on the bike at all, and I'm at a loss as to what could have caused it.

Anyone experienced anything similar or offer any advice?

Thanks in advance!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nice bike btw.

It could be anything. Diesel can be a nightmare - it is like riding on ice. The other issue could be a greasy surface, moss and even gravel.

These things do happen from time to time. And don't forget you are new, so handling skills do come with time and does the ability to spot problems in the road.

Get back out on the bike. I had my spine broken 14 months ago by a careless driver, but I am back riding, but sticking to off road and away from drivers - keeps me and my family happy as I was 'lucky' to not end up in a wheel chair. If I crash now, it's my fault. MTB riding, is by nature, risky, and a fall it pretty much guaranteed.

Last edited:

pclay

Veteran
i would suggest that you simply leaned too far into the corner, or the rear wheel must have slipped on something.

anyway, get well soon, and please don't let it put you off, even if it means taking baby steps to get back on it.

Was the back wheel on the white paint of the junction? If you don't remember then it is hard to say but you should note all the usual suspects for future reference

Slick tarmac
Outside camber
White paint
Metal drain covers
Sand
Oil and diesel
Wet leaves
Ice

My worst cornering experience was an unexpected line of bricks standing about 1" proud of the surface at the fast entrance to a supermarket car park.
Generally with any of the above, slow down in advance, stay off the brakes during the turn, dont lean in hard as you would in ideal conditions. If you fall, tuck your head down and keep hold of the bars.

Last edited by a moderator:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Check for all the suspects above. I used to have a mortal fear of metal drain covers but I've now learnt I can ride over them carefully.

Leaves caused me to have a similar crash to yours except I was going in a straight line at speed. All of a sudden the bike was no longer under me and I was back in a familiar world of cracked ribs and deep tissue bruising (I believe this was the first time I had a conversation with my doctor about recovery and she started her answer with "At your age........" ouch)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Sorry to hear about your off. As posters above have said, it could have been any number of things. Is there anyone you know who also rides a bike? Maybe you could go out with them to get your confidance back.

Please don't give up. Being on a bike is great exercise, and fun.

At this time of year the councils tend to 'treat' the roads. One of the ingredients they routinely use in the grit / salt mix which they spread, in order to reduce any ice formation, is a water dispersant. This does a cracking job at stopping the dew from settling on the road surface, and reduces the likelihood of ice then forming. The only slight downside is, that it's as slippery as diesel on the road. It's only a thin film, and is easily dealt with by car tyres, but it tends to build up on the bit of the road used by bicycles. I'd hazard a guess that this is what you hit.

U

User32269

It can be hard to get back on after a bad incident as this. I've not long ago come out pretty much unscathed from a run in with a little old lady's astra. Leaves you very shaken. Hope you recover soon. Once back on the bike you will feel jittery at first, but will soon get the confidence back.
The worst part for me is family, telling me how scared they are when I go out on my bike or that I should wear a helmet.
The positives to take from these things are that they make you question your riding style and ability, and make you a better and safer rider. I'm a lot more cautious now than when I was younger, unfortunately that has taken a few bad tumbles on the way to teach me my limits. I'm now uber cautious of metal lids in the wet road, that was a hard lesson to learn!
Good luck.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My accident happened whilst turning left, my back wheel went from under me and the next thing I knew I was having a neck brace on and put onto a spinal board. I didn't have a helmet on at the time...not intentional, just forgot rushing out the door. I've suffered some pretty bad head, face and shoulder injuries as a result.
Just to be clear, you suffered those injuries as a result of crashing, not because of anything you did or didn't wear. Wearing a particular thing (like a nice plush beanie hat or some goggles) might have mitigated some injuries or might have made some worse (yanking your neck as the hat gets pulled off) and very few road cyclists wear shoulder armour.

It sounds like it might have been some liquid on the roads but without video footage or having revisited the scene soon after, it could be almost anything. Heck, it could have been a catastrophic tyre failure from what's written - how is the bike, anyway? ;) But seriously - check it over for signs of damage or cause.

I've been sliding down the road a couple of times - and I think unusually for forums like this, pretty much all self-inflicted. No serious injuries. I get back on the bike as soon as I'm able. If you never have, I think it's worth learning to fall - basic martial arts are one way to learn.

Ask your family out on a bike ride - if they can get riding, they may understand the sense of freedom and why you want to do it. They may even get out more themselves and that's likely to do them good if they don't ride at all now.

alicat

Legendary Member
I watched a friend do exactly the same thing right in front of me. No obvious cause at all.

These things do happen and are very rare.

When you feel a bit better, get back on the bike. You've had your dose of bad luck and the fun and health benefits far outweigh the risks.

Shaun

Founder
As above, rest, get well, and once you're healed get back out and take it slow and steady near to home to start. Your confidence will come back, but you might be a bit shaky to start. :okay:

I hit the deck instantly as I sped across rain-wet right-angled railway tracks and my front wheel disappeared. Smashed face, shoulder, head - broken finger, broken kit, giant thigh bruise that looked like I'd been mown down by a bus, etc. and felt very shaky for a long while afterwards going anywhere near drain covers, cattle grids, anything really that might be wet metal.

Almost came off as badly turning at less than walking pace. Called to the stray riders from the back of the pack who had cycled up the wrong road and as I slowly turned to point in the right direction to head to the pub meet-up I oversteered, wobbled, and smack.

I reckon if you got a reply from everyone who'd managed to injure themselves whilst out on their bike you'd be able to give the cafe's beer thread a run for its money! :cheers:

As the Captain in Hill Street Blues used to say: "Let's be careful out there!" :laugh:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep, a lot of us have been there. Cycling along, then BAM!!! Down on the floor. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Sounds like you were pretty duffed up. Not nice. Heal well and quick and try get back on the bike sooner rather then later. Mercy be these types of incidents are very rare.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sorry to hear your story. Recover well, and return to riding gently.

Loose gravel? Chain come off and unbalanced you?

I had a similar off, and I was never able to explain it. A few decades and thousands of miles ago. It's etched into my memory, well what I can remember of it is.

Following a friend, not going at all fast, loaded touring bike, transition from flat to uphill, slight bend, as the hill kicked up I stood on the pedals to try to keep up and ... woke up with my friend standing over me and blood everywhere. I think the back wheel may have gone over a stone or some gravel and somehow I kicked the bike from under me. Or maybe the chain came off (I don't remember checking for that). Or maybe something jammed inside my front mudguard (this was before the days of safety mudguard QRs)

Last edited:
Top Bottom