Crashed And No Idea How!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

Red23

Where are you based, @Red23? Do you want a companion for your next time out?
Hi Alicat. I'm based in Wolverhampton. It's likely to be a while before I can attempt to get back on the bike but will bear that in mind, thanks :smile:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Hi Alicat. I'm based in Wolverhampton. It's likely to be a while before I can attempt to get back on the bike but will bear that in mind, thanks :smile:
Seriously don't let it put you off. Take it easy for a bit. One thing that just occurred to me, are the tyres the ones that came with the bike? A lot of the time you get some pretty shocking Kenda tyres on new bikes, change them for something grippier

Aw, c'mon @jefmcg you must have a frightening horror story to share ;)
Whole thread about it over here with particular reference to this post

Please don't click those links, @Red23 :smile:

temperature was around 7 degrees

I wouldn't entirely rule out ice if it was cold overnight. My one experience of black ice was on a sunny day, late afternoon when it had been above freezing all day, and there were no shadows on the patch that was like a mirror.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
To the OP - could you perhaps have grounded a pedal? A skid on dry road even if you hit some chippings or oil seems less likely given the low speed.

screenman

Legendary Member
These are something we really have to look out for at certain times of year in my surrounding roads, you sometimes have trouble standing up on them.

H_Oilseed_Rape.jpg

Oilseed Rape.

OP
OP
R

Red23

Seriously don't let it put you off. Take it easy for a bit. One thing that just occurred to me, are the tyres the ones that came with the bike? A lot of the time you get some pretty shocking Kenda tyres on new bikes, change them for something grippier
Thanks. The tyres are the ones that came on the bike, but they are continental GP4000s which I thought were ok but may look at changing :smile:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Thanks. The tyres are the ones that came on the bike, but they are continental GP4000s which I thought were ok but may look at changing :smile:
Probably not the tyres then as many people swear by them. However when it comes to confidence, marginal gains and all that

boydj

Legendary Member
I've had one similar off in the many years I've been cycling. On the homeward commute, went round a right-hander at no great speed and hit the road so fast that both hands were still on the brake hoods, resulting in broken bones in both hands. I suspected diesel or the lightest of taps from the car following me - I'll never know, but I must have been round the same corner hundreds of times before and after with no problems.

It's a frustrating experience when you are doing nothing wrong and don't know why you went down.

P.S. Conti GPs are great tyres with better grip than most. I use GP 4 Seasons, which is a tougher version, but pretty much the same rubber.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp

You're from Wolverhampton Red, don't let the side down , get back on at the earliest opportunity and show some Black Country steel :okay:

S-Express

To the OP - could you perhaps have grounded a pedal? A skid on dry road even if you hit some chippings or oil seems less likely given the low speed.

Yep - pedal strike is a distinct possibility. Join a club, ride with others, acquire some roadcraft.

Top Bottom