Crashed And No Idea How!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

Red23

To the OP - could you perhaps have grounded a pedal? A skid on dry road even if you hit some chippings or oil seems less likely given the low speed.
Good question - I don't think so but couldn't completely rule it out. Hadn't even thought of that as a possibility.

Steady

Über Member
Good question - I don't think so but couldn't completely rule it out. Hadn't even thought of that as a possibility.

I've had this happen, although I didn't come off. It felt like the back end was whipped around (or like a handbrake turn). Wasn't entirely sure what had happened until I checked the pedals which at the time were plastic to find edge scuffed.

Been cautious about bringing the inside leg up whilst cornering ever since. Never had been an issue on any other bike than the road bike.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Going off topic a bit but how do fixed riders manage with cornering? The one and only time I rode fixed wheel (about 35 years ago) I was in absolute terror that I was going to ground a pedal every time I deviated slightly off a straight line. It was just one of many ways I was sure the bike was trying to kill me.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Going off topic a bit but how do fixed riders manage with cornering? The one and only time I rode fixed wheel (about 35 years ago) I was in absolute terror that I was going to ground a pedal every time I deviated slightly off a straight line. It was just one of many ways I was sure the bike was trying to kill me.

You do the Barry Sheene arse out the saddle thing thus keeping the bike more upright whilst the centre of gravity (mainly you) is leaning further than the bike. Some users (eg me) also favour shorter cranks which helps a bit too.

john59

Guru
First of all don’t beat yourself up, it happens. I had my first off in years, last Monday, and I’ve been riding 40+ years. I was lucky just bad bruising to left hip and arm. The most painful thing for me was the cost of replacing my shifters which where damaged. I’m out tomorrow for my first ride since the accident, and I will be taking it easy. But you will be amazed how quickly you get back into the swing of things. Enjoy your riding and don’t worry!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I came off on a corner once. Bike slid away from me, and I hadn't got a clue why.

Until, a microsecond later, I remembered the frost on the road, and that I had set off with the intention of going slowly round corners due to the tricky conditions.

It was the morning, I was a student at the time, and so probably a good few hours before I woke up properly.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Almost every time I have come off unexpectedly it has been when the road has adverse camber, easy to miss and your bike goes out from underneath you with little or no warning. I guess it's easier for a very thin film of oil or diesel to spread across them too. (obviously coming off when riding on ice is to be expected)

As others have said, get back in the saddle as soon as you can, it may take a mile or a hundred miles but your confidence will return. I have come off my bike plenty of times and almost always it is your pride which takes the biggest knock. The only injury beyond scrapes and bruises is a broken bone in my arm which was a slow speed hitting a kerb. The rest have mostly been worthy of Hollywood but I've been able to pick myself up. It sounds like you had really bad luck.

As for those who say cycling on roads is too dangerous, I always point out that for any risk of injury you have twenty times less risk of sedentary illness. I'm not sure where I read that, I may have made it up, but it sounds impressive (especially for my Mum who worries about my tyres with no tread!).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As for those who say cycling on roads is too dangerous, I always point out that for any risk of injury you have twenty times less risk of sedentary illness. I'm not sure where I read that, I may have made it up, but it sounds impressive (especially for my Mum who worries about my tyres with no tread!).
NHS Choices summary of cycling safety cites https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2920084/ which concludes overall, on average, "cycling resulted in about 9 times more gains in life-years than the losses" (and a reasonably-estimated range looks like between 2 and 73 times - quite a big spread, but all a net gain).

I think there was another study which built on that to estimate Quality Adjusted Life-Years, which weights your lifetime by how ill you are (so a year bed-ridden in agony doesn't count for as much as a year of good health), which estimates cycling adds 20 times as many expected QALYs as it takes because cyclists spend less time ill and less seriously ill, but damned if I can find it now!

Last edited:
Top Bottom