Crashed on Tuesday - 6 broken ribs and scrapes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I posted on my status that I was in hospital;

On Tuesday evening I rode home and got my youngest to training on the new MTB track at Appleton Academy. Adults could go too so I brought my Felt MTB.

All went well until I went over a jump, probably too fast, and the bike twisted as I landed. It was a big drop and at speed. Very winded I thought it wasn't serious; my helmet's got a big crack but my thoughts were that it was just bruising.

Cue a few hours later and a trip to A&E as it wasn't getting better. They rushed me through, put me on a board and put morphine into a cannula. Dewsbury A&E were great; Cat scans and X-rays later it showed no head or hip damage besides scrapes and bruising. However I'd broken 6 ribs, two of them in 2 places.

The registrar was shocked I'd walked into A&E. When I told him I'd continued riding round the MTB track after crashing he just said "you're a nutter!"

They blue-lighted me to Pinderfields, where @Richard A Thackeray works (thanks to Sarah on SAU 36/37 please Richard) where they checked me all yesterday.

The hip's very swollen and numb, my face now has feeling but the ribs aren't great - and I presume it'll be 4-6 weeks to recover.

I'm now out, on Tramadol, and it'll be a few weeks to recover. I've a Coast-to-Coast ride at the end of next month with my youngest. I WILL BE THERE, so for now I'm going to be a good patient.

And the bike (my old Felt Q200) - it's a bit more battered than before but basically OK.

Last edited:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Get well soon and thanks for sharing your trail tale.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Double ouch !! Get well soon. I take my hat off to you sir, I cracked a rib playing rugby and that was bad enough, cannot imagine what 6 feels like. Take care with the recovery.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh, dear, the classic 'Jump to feet in embarrassment, look around for witnesses, and shout out "It's okay, it didn't hurt"' :okay:

I hope you do recover in time for that C2C ride but most websites seem to suggest at least 6 weeks for fractured ribs to heal and presumably you will not be able to do much exercise between now and then?

It was interesting reading the medical advice, which seems to have changed in recent years. Deliberately taking deep breaths and coughing hourly to keep the lungs clear - ouch! Also, they don't seem to like taping/bandaging the chest now because it inhibits deep breathing and can lead to pneumonia!

I foresee a few sleepless nights ahead ... :whistle:

GWS, David!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can't be having you breaking more ribs than me though... I only broke 4, although two vertebrae get the win !!! :tongue:

Jumps, you nutter.

Just take it easy and watch the tramadol/tramadon - it will bung you up. Remember to try and breath properly as you can get chest infections if not breathing properly. My stats went down to 70% so was on oxygen for a week.

I'd give it a good week at least before you hop on a turbo. I've twice got back riding within a week, but it's very painful, and you won't be able to pull on the bars. Do expect the pain to last quite a while longer than 6 weeks. Twice it's taken me much longer than 6 weeks to get pain free. This time, the rib pain was gone soon after I left hospital. The painful thing about hitting the ribs is all the soft tissue surrounding the ribs, that's agony.

Take it easy and I'm sure you'll be OK for the charity ride.

Glad it's not worse !!

Cue a few hours later and a trip to A&E as it wasn't getting better. They rushed me through, put me on a board and put morphine into a cannula. Dewsbury A&E were great; Cat scans and X-rays later it showed no head or hip damage besides scrapes and bruising. However I'd broken 6 ribs, two of them in 2 places
Thankfully, you're here to tell us the tale
Sadly, we see a few who can't
The registrar was shocked I'd walked into A&E. When I told him I'd continued riding round the MTB track after crashing he just said "you're a nutter!"
Some of them are 'straight-talking'
Was that the Reg, at DDH, or PGH?
They blue-lighted me to Pinderfields, where @Richard A Thackeray works (thanks to Sarah on SAU 36/37 please Richard) where they checked me all yesterday.
I will when I go back, as I'm on annual-leave/lieu-days, & return on Sunday

Digressing slightly, this was the PGH ED Doctors on Wednesday, (Strike Day), Vicky (SIster in charge) & a couple of the Nurses

2016. BMA Strike. 27 April. 1.jpg

All in green are Consultants, barring Shakir, he's a Staff-Grade (front left, next to Hannah, with apron on), & 2 locum Consultants peeking over shoulders on the back row
There's a few missing, as they'd have been on other shifts

Tuesday & WEdnesdays were the days to be in ED (A&E), as it was practically all Consultant cover

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom