Crashed on Tuesday - 6 broken ribs and scrapes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
All went well until I went over a jump, probably too fast, and the bike twisted as I landed. It was a big drop and at speed.
Enough time to have those "this is not turning out well" thoughts .... :ohmy:
Very winded I thought it wasn't serious; my helmet's got a big crack but my thoughts were that it was just bruising.
"just bruising" ? :eek: How much pain would you need to think "Oh-oh, I think something's broken ? :ohmy:

Serial nutter - but absolutely brilliant ! :wahhey:

GWS and continue to be a 'good patient'. :hugs:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Ow. GWS

screenman

Legendary Member
All the best for a speedy recovery.

I must admit to being a bit more careful than I used to be, but that is more down to the fact that if I do get damaged there will be no income, which is a scarey thought for most self employed.

PK99

Legendary Member
Oh, dear, the classic 'Jump to feet in embarrassment, look around for witnesses, and shout out "It's okay, it didn't hurt"' :okay:

I hope you do recover in time for that C2C ride but most websites seem to suggest at least 6 weeks for fractured ribs to heal and presumably you will not be able to do much exercise between now and then?

It was interesting reading the medical advice, which seems to have changed in recent years. Deliberately taking deep breaths and coughing hourly to keep the lungs clear - ouch! Also, they don't seem to like taping/bandaging the chest now because it inhibits deep breathing and can lead to pneumonia!

I foresee a few sleepless nights ahead ... :whistle:

GWS, David!

When I've had cracked ribs, sitting up in a comfy armchair was by far the best way to sleep. Lying in bed and turning over was hellish.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You will need to sit up to sleep at first - you'll feel like you are being crushed. I'd never broken ribs or any bones in over 40 years, then did it chasing the kids round a swimming pool on holiday ! Then Sept 14 when I was knocked off last time, and then November 15.

Growing old disgracefully is what it's about.

PS how are your ears ! :whistle:

From the roasting your missus gave you ! :laugh:

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
When I've had cracked ribs, sitting up in a comfy armchair was by far the best way to sleep. Lying in bed and turning over was hellish.

Agreed. That's what sent me to A&E in the first place.

Someone has kindly lent me a reclinable chair that's perfect to sleep in.

PS how are your ears ! :whistle:

From the roasting your missus gave you ! :laugh:

SWMBO is OK at the moment - but more worried than I am. She's been great over the past 48 hours so a big treat is needed when I'm well.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
2 rules of cracked ribs:
1. It will be unbearably painful until just after you are convinced that it will never end.
2. You will be restricted to a handful of comfortable positions for sitting and lying. And these will get increasingly uncomfortable.

Top Bottom