Crashed on Tuesday - 6 broken ribs and scrapes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Confirms what I already knew, you are crazy ;) I hope you get well soon :okay:

A couple of years ago I came off on the Selby Sportive at a about 5 miles an hour on a corner that had been 'dressed' with gravel :cursing: and thought nothing of it and carried on then I discovered I had cracked 2 ribs, then 2 weeks later did the Otley Sportive :headshake:I have never been in so much pain on a bike.

adamangler

Veteran
Pinderfields is nice at least, thats my local :biggrin:

Funny, for all the dangers of road cycling and the very limited amount of mtb ive done, my only semi serious incident have been on a mtb, i cam off bad on the track at dalby a couple of years ago. Nothing broken but the most pain ive been in from biking, ive only ever come off road bike when stationery, long may that continue.

get well

Another one here who had missed your initial post.

I'm another who came off on an MTB course (actually a skills weekend for women only in mid Wales) and got up and carried on at couple of years ago... I then drove home and waited several days before a chest infection got the better of me along with a really sore thumb. My helmet was in 5 pieces and I was more interested in getting it replaced to go on holiday than actually being able to wear it (which I wasn't) due to brushing all down the left side of my face. I walked into my GP's surgery, got sent to the local A&E for x-rays who promptly separated my husband and I for a chat with me about domestic violence! My husband hadn't even been with me at the time!

1 cracked rib, several bruised. Head and thumb in tact... Forehead badly bruised, black eye but no eye issues... Oh and a chest infection...

Best wishes and get well soon. Take it easy for a while, says the one who has really had to learn the hard way that I don't heal as well anymore!

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
2 week update:

The bruising has almost all gone, along with much of the rib pain. No chest issues apart from it still hurting but no-where near as much. I just need the ribs to connect now ...

However my hip's become really swollen on the side I landed. I hope this goes down soon as it's uncomfortable.

On the upside I've borrowed a turbo trainer which I hope to be on from this weekend and the reclining chair I was lent is a god-send; I'm getting 7-8 hours sleep a night which was better than I'd hoped for. However I still can't lie flat as I can't get up. And I keep forgetting I've damaged my RH side and doing stuff I shouldn't with it. Which then hurts.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

An update: Today I got a 20 minute turbo trainer test

No rib pain but the hip bursitis hurts at the top. So basically a mixed bag; no issues where the major damage was done but the bursitis isn't getting any better through driving as road vibrations make the bursitis hurt. I basically think I need to get back onto a bike more and drive less for anything to heal properly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Thanks for all the well-wishes. An update:

We've just finished riding the Coast-to-Coast - and yes, I was able to ride it :hyper: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/page-57post-4306019

Steady riding meant the ribs and hip weren't strained - with the hip going down a lot over the past week (it's still 6cm further round than the LH one but it was 14cm further!). It helped riding with an 11-year old but all went OK, despite one rib not being properly joined yet. I did say I would be a good patient and I'd be there, but up until Saturday I really wasn't sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

A further update just over a month on - and not a good one:

The hip's still not great - I can do up to 40 miles but it's got to be ridden slowly. Physio starts this Friday to see what can be done.

Also 1 or 2 ribs haven't joined at both ends from the multiple breaks. I've been referred for x-rays and possible surgery on Wednesday.

So far I've had to pull out of 400 and 600k audaxes plus 2 time trials (10 and 25 mile ones). I'm hoping to be OK for a 50 mile TT in September plus my club's 120 mile ride so I won't be riding much from late July to mid-August when I'm on leave.

Top Bottom