Crashed today. Carbon frame inspection.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glover Fan

Evening all,

Had my first ever crash today, I was on a main road that you would expect to be salted, but a really exposed area had some black ice. I was stupid for going out really.

Anyway, all patched up now, just need to look at the bike. It is a carbon fibre frame and forks Focus Cayo 105. I had a quick inspection and there are no obvious cracks, but I intend to go over it with a fine toothcomb.

Just wanted opinions on how to proceed. As I slid on ice the bike didn't really bash down on the road, more slid away from me on the right hand side, thus the rear derallieur, pedals and handlebars took the brunt of the force and are all pretty scratched up. I was going between 10-15 mph if it helps.

Thanks in advance.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
run a yellow polish cloth slowly over the frame. If it snags anywhere then you may have a problem. It may b
Judging by your crash explanation I wouldn't have thought there would be any damage to the frame.
CF is far stronger then some people like to make out.
Have had a similar crash to yourself with my CF bike and it was fine.

amaferanga

Veteran
Unlikely to be any damage to the frame from your description of the crash. Did the bars spin round and hit the top tube? That happened to me when I crashed in a race and it caused minor damage to the superficial carbon layer that was very obvious, but certainly didn't mean retiring the frame.

In your case I'd suggest that the most likely damage will be to the rear dérailleur hanger - it may be very slightly bent and it only takes very little to upset shifting. If your rear shifting is sluggish then you might want to get hold of a new hanger even if the current one doesn't look bent to the naked eye.

Top Bottom