CRC Packaging, grrrr!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
That amount of packaging really hacks me off....it also upsets our recycling bin men who refuse (no pun intended) to empty the blue bin if if gets too full. So two options drive to the municipal tip (waste more petrol) or burn it (bad for the environment). Grrrrrr

I trust you reduce the volume of your recycling as much as possible? You'd be amazed how little you can reduce boxes to, with sensible dismantling, folding and trampling. With a bit of care, I can get the overflowing boxes from 15 or more houses into 10 recycling boxes on the trike, and that's including glass which can't be squashed.

(also by squashing plastic bottles, if your collectors allow - depends if they are going to be sorted by machine or not)

Excessive packaging is ridiculous though, I agree.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yes, polystyrene is a terrible waste, and breaking up big chunks just leaves millions of crumbs.

Fortunately a lot of companies are now at least using shaped cardboard inserts to hold stuff in place, which is slight improvement, although the boxes are generally still bigger than they need be. And Amazon use long strips of paper bunched up as wadding, although they have their own levels of irritation for me - you start to pull one end out of the box and it just keeps coming and coming for hours, usually dragging other stuff out with it onto the floor....

Of course, not buying so much stuff to start with is one solution. We have houses on our rounds where they seem to have several big new boxed toys or consumer goods every week, on top of all the packaging from ready meals and other over-packaged food. M and S sell satsumas in a cardboard box for god's sake - why? And all those probiotic yoghurt drinks which come in tiny little 'dose' bottles. Why not one bottle, and then drink a measured amount each day? Ah, but that wouldn't seem scientific enough I bet, to convince the vapid they are making themselves better. (Not to mention that the whole concept is actually pointless. Gut bacteria taken in that way are destroyed by stomach acid, apparently.)

Bloody hell, it's my day off, I woke up irrevocably at 7 and I'm talking about bloody recycling!

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I fear for my postman then this week, I've ordered almost the same.. BB30 removal tool, BB30 Installation tool AND new BB30 bearings all from CRC ... I'm dreading the size of the packaging they'll arrive in, if yours was that large and you only had two items in it :wacko: :laugh:

Mr Phoebus

The postman knocked my door and handed me a 5ft long slightly bent tube that was well padded.
He told me that at the sorting office they all had took guesses at what is was.
He asked if I minded telling him what it was to put them all out of their misery.
"It's a didgeridoo," I told him.
"Ah, of course," he said, commenting on the Australian postage.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I ordered a KMC missing link from them at the weekend, was quite suprised at the size of the box they used to package a little chain link.

Attachments

• kmclink.jpg
    kmclink.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 30

Night Train

Maker of Things
I always try my best to dismantle and squash things down but get quite resentful when something comes with all that packaging. My least favourite is when the pack is stuffed full of polystyrene chunks - the only thing to do with them is Put them in the main refuse bin. What a waste.
I wonder if you can repackage the box with the polystyrene chuncks, seal it up, and put 'Return to Sender' on the address?

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Seriously?

:banghead:
Yeah, but i wouldnt have really thought much of it had i not seen this thread on here, excess packaging seems pretty common - I seem to recall numerous boxes from wiggle filled with that big inflatable padding around a smallish product. :smile:

Ive ordered another link from wiggle, having not realised that the CRC "8spd" link was just one of two 8-spd options KMC make (7.1 vs 7.3mm), hoping for a Jiffy bag this time though!

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
I received another parcel from CRC today. Exactly the same box as I started this thread with, but this time it contained a compression top, compression socks, two tubes of High 5 tablets and two freebie gels. All in all quite an appropriate packaging to goods ratio IMO, go figure :thumbsup:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I think they only stock a certain numb er of box sizes to save on production costs for bespoke printed stuff. On the other hand I got a package from SJS cycles a couple weeks back and I think every item was packaged in reused boxes from other stuff, and the whole package was crammed together very expertly, so others aren't as wasteful.

Top Bottom