Creak/rubbing when starting to pedal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarttunstall

Hi

Over the last week I have had a spoke replaced in the back wheel and replaced the brake pads front and rear...

Since then I have notice that when I start to pedal there is a clicking/rubbing sound when is start to pedal or when going up a hill which seems to come from the pedal/crank area..

I have just been out and released the QR on both wheels, checked that the bolts on the crank and rear derailleur are tight which they are and made sure the QR's are tight..

The sound seems to be more in low gears and goes as I speed up or change up gears ...

Any ideas?

I am sure it is to do with either the new brake pads, maybe rubbing the disc or the removal/refit of the wheels as this is the only things that have changed.. It does sound drive related.

Stuart

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Could be the BB, the pedals, the seatpost clamp, saddle rail clamp or the saddle

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I have just loosened the QR and re- seated the wheels as these are the only things I have removed since it started so I will see if that cures it first :smile:

May as well start with the wheels as that is what I have removed and put back :smile:

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Just been outside the house which is a slope up hill and no noise, not far so I will see if it cures it next time I go out, maybe or should I say hopefully was down to the wheels not seated or tightened correctly ..

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Process of elimination I guess. I'd suspect the brake pads. Hold the brakes on and pedal for some time, see if that cures it.
BB is also favourite, put it on a stand or hold it up and listen.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Hi
Over the last week I have had a spoke replaced in the back wheel and replaced the brake pads front and rear...

Since then I have notice that when I start to pedal there is a clicking/rubbing sound when is start to pedal or when going up a hill which seems to come from the pedal/crank area..
<snip>

I am sure it is to do with either the new brake pads, maybe rubbing the disc or the removal/refit of the wheels as this is the only things that have changed.. It does sound drive related.

Stuart

If this is a disc braked bike, have you tried recentering the calipers? Loosen the bolts holding the caliper onto the frame slightly, apply & hold in the brake lever, then re-tighten the bolts.

Ajax Bay

Guru
when I start to pedal there is a clicking/rubbing sound when I start to pedal or when going up a hill
. . seems to come from the pedal/crank area.
The sound seems to be more in low gears and goes as I speed up or change up gears ...
Any ideas?
seems to be consistent with each rotation of the pedals... then disappears at around 5-7 MPH
If this noise is the same frequency as cadence (ie occurs at each rotation of cranks) then this is chainset/FD related, not wheels. Though at slow speeds or more specifically a low gear eg 1:1 (34/34) or 27" it could be the wheels: "when I start to pedal or when going up a hill", say.
Do you get this noise when you are in the large chainring, even at slow speeds?

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Process of elimination I guess. I'd suspect the brake pads. Hold the brakes on and pedal for some time, see if that cures it.
BB is also favourite, put it on a stand or hold it up and listen.

On level ground when riding it stops making the noise, and if I lift the bike and spin the pedals it is not there..

If this noise is the same frequency as cadence (ie occurs at each rotation of cranks) then this is chainset/FD related, not wheels. Though at slow speeds or more specifically a low gear eg 1:1 (34/34) or 27" it could be the wheels: "when I start to pedal or when going up a hill", say.
Do you get this noise when you are in the large chainring, even at slow speeds?

It does seem to be with each turn of the pedals, but only when first moving off and slow speeds.. it seems more on the middle ring out the 3 .

Yesterday I released the QR's on both wheels and then made sure the wheels are seated right then tightened them up again.. out side my house is on a slope and when I tried it a couple of times there was no noise/creak...

I should be out on it in the morning so I will see how it sounds..

Thanks for all your help so far and suggestions, just thought I would try the things I know have changed since it started...

All that has happened since it started is..

Wheel removed to get spoke fixed in rear wheel and pads replaced..
Refitted rear wheel
Removed front wheel and replaced pads
Refitted front wheel

Will let you know in the morning :smile:

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

After a very busy and no bike week I have been out this morning...

Not sure if it was pure coincidence but since i took the weeks out and replaced them the creak seems to have gone :smile: will see how it goes now...

Thanks for all the help..

Top Bottom