Creaking bearing type of noise.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kajjal

Guru
I have creaking , bearing sounding noise whenever the cranks are turned when I am on the bike pedalling that seems to come from the bottom bracket. It happens in any gear / chain ring and even if you pedal forwards or backwards too slow to drive the back wheel. When the bike free wheels it is silent. Nothing has been adjusted or changed to cause the problem. The noise starts about 5 minutes into the ride suggesting something is warming up or getting into use to cause the problem. Once it starts it does not stop.

Below is a list of what has been tried or looked at and any suggestions welcome.

Bottom bracket looks fine
All bolts are greased and tight
Tried pedals and saddle from silent bike and still get noise. The saddle and pedals from this bike are silent on another bike.
On the work stand it is not possible to reproduce the noise by spinning the pedals
Wheel spins smoothly, greased and there is no play, noise etc.
Headset bearings are fine, greased, smooth with no play.
I can see nothing that is catching anything like cable ends catching the pedals etc.
Chainrings are bolted on properly.
The disc brakes do not rub and work perfectly.
The chain is not catching the front derailleur / , mech
Jockey wheels on rear derailleur / mech are bolted in properly and seem smooth.
Cranks are on with no play.
There is nothing on the bike e.g. bottle cages, saddle bag etc. removed and still does it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

gbb

Legendary Member
Which bike and specifically which BB type Kajjal ?
BB30 are notorious for creaking apparently.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Not coming from the front wheel, is it? Some eyeletted rims creak insufferably, mainly when honking out of the saddle. The cure is a drop of oil on each one, which works for quite a long time.

OP
OP
Kajjal

Kajjal

Guru
Which bike and specifically which BB type Kajjal ?
BB30 are notorious for creaking apparently.

Thanks for your reply.

Its a Diverge Comp 2016 and has some form of BB30 bottom bracket. The bike shop were very helpful had a look and did various things which make sense including checking the BB. Apart from the lower headset bearing wearing out and causing a similar noise the bike has been silent for two years with no problems over the last two winters as well. My current guess is the BB or the rear wheel is dying, the rear wheel did have some play in it that went after it was tightening up.

OP
OP
Kajjal

Kajjal

Guru
Not coming from the front wheel, is it? Some eyeletted rims creak insufferably, mainly when honking out of the saddle. The cure is a drop of oil on each one, which works for quite a long time.

Thanks, I don't think so but I will have a look at that, the wheels seemed fine spoke wise and nothing has changed with the wheels e.g. servicing / new wheels etc.

Last edited:
If you have got through two winters with a BB30 bottom bracket then you have done well. It could be on the way out even if there is no play in it as yet. Don't try and oil it. You only wash out the grease.

OP
OP
Kajjal

Kajjal

Guru
Stripped down and reinstalled entire drivetrain from scratch and now working normally. No idea what was causing it.

mustang1

Guru
I have bb30. I always figured the squeeking noise comes because he mechanics do not know, or do not have the patience to, work on them correctly. But I think most of the internet is buzzing with "bb30 equals squeeking noise".

My bb30 started squeeking a year ago, on and off, on 6 year old frame, used in all weather.

OP
OP
Kajjal

Kajjal

Guru
Most noises are easy enough to track down but some seem to be coming from one part of the bike and are somewhere completely different. I was convinced a while ago the bottom bracket was going turns out it was the lower headset bearing. Once replaced silence. This type of fault can be very hard to find.

Top Bottom