Creaking bike = cracked rim?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nappadang

Über Member
My bike started creaking morning and I think I've narrowed to spokes rubbing together.
First question of probably quite a few. Does this photo look like a cracked rim? secondly, if so, would this cause the creaking?
Picture is poor due to the fact that I took it on my phone.
Any wise words would be appreciated.

Attachments

• _20150927_112207.JPG
    _20150927_112207.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 78

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Not a crack in my opinion. That appears to be where the rim is joined and is perfectly normal.

Pinpointing creaks on a bike is notoriously difficult. When does the creaking occur? Standing on pedals or when seated?

OP
OP
nappadang

nappadang

Über Member
Not a crack in my opinion. That appears to be where the rim is joined and is perfectly normal.

Pinpointing creaks on a bike is notoriously difficult. When does the creaking occur? Standing on pedals or when seated?
hi Phil, it's a constant creaking noise when I have my weight on the back wheel, either peddling or freewheeling. The sound is very similar to the sound of my spokes rubbing together. I've lubed where spokes touch and all spokes are tight (or feel that way to touch).
Thanks for all the helpful (and not so @goody :okay:) pointers so far.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
hi Phil, it's a constant creaking noise when I have my weight on the back wheel, either peddling or freewheeling. The sound is very similar to the sound of my spokes rubbing together. I've lubed where spokes touch and all spokes are tight (or feel that way to touch).
Thanks for all the helpful (and not so @goody :okay:) pointers so far.
If you've lubed the spokes I think that can be eliminated. My thought would be the seatpost or saddle clamp (as already suggested above). Something less likely but which I've had myself is the rear wheel quick release not being seated/tightened quite right.

OP
OP
nappadang

nappadang

Über Member
Here's a shot of the rim join from another angle. Granted, I don't pay close attention to most things but I hope I'd have noticed the paint missing along the join. If I run a finger nail across it there is a definite ridge.
Again, your help is much appreciated.
_20150927_121545.JPG

OP
OP
nappadang

nappadang

Über Member
If you've lubed the spokes I think that can be eliminated. My thought would be the seatpost or saddle clamp (as already suggested above). Something less likely but which I've had myself is the rear wheel quick release not being seated/tightened quite right.
hello again Phil,
I've put the bike back together, as I was doing so, I fully inflated the tyre before putting it back on the bike. I flexed the wheel with both hands while pushed against the floor and was able to replicate a similar sound. Once the wheel was back on I took the bike for a spin and the creaking noise was present both freewheeling and peddling in and out of the saddle.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That is definitely the rim joint and will be exactly opposite the valve hole. If it is the wheels that are creaking I would look carefully at the hub where the spokes fit in to the hub flange. It is not unknown for the flange to split from the hub, especially with radially spoked wheels.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The rim joint is perfectly ok.

It could be that the overall spoke tension is a bit on the loose side. If you can, try tightening up each spoke by 1/4 of a turn and then test the wheel.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
hello again Phil,
I've put the bike back together, as I was doing so, I fully inflated the tyre before putting it back on the bike. I flexed the wheel with both hands while pushed against the floor and was able to replicate a similar sound. Once the wheel was back on I took the bike for a spin and the creaking noise was present both freewheeling and peddling in and out of the saddle.
That being the case, Accountantpete's suggestion is the next one to look into. (Bearing in mind I Like Skol's mention of the possibility of a cracked hub flange of course)

Have you trued or tensioned a wheel before? Your local bike shop should be able to assist with this if you haven't, however it's a good skill to learn and there is a guide posted by Mickle in a sticky at the top of the Bicycle Mechanics section.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nappadang

nappadang

Über Member
That being the case, Accountantpete's suggestion is the next one to look into. (Bearing in mind I Like Skol's mention of the possibility of a cracked hub flange of course)

Have you trued or tensioned a wheel before? Your local bike shop should be able to assist with this if you haven't, however it's a good skill to learn and there is a guide posted by Mickle in a sticky at the top of the Bicycle Mechanics section.
Thanks again Phil and everyone else who has offered advice. I'm off to the LBS tomorrow, they only charge £10 to true a wheel.

Top Bottom