Creaking / clicking saddle..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Something I've experienced on pretty much every bike I've owned to some extent - a creaking / clicking coming from the saddle when pedalling / riding over rough ground, that upon further inspection can be replicated by applying downward load to the outside rear of the saddle on either side.

I assume this is due to the rails moving within the plastic body of the seat.. regardless it's bloody irritating. I'm going to whinge to the manufacturers of my new bike about it, but does anyone have any suggestions please as to how this might otherwise be addressed?

Ta :smile:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I had a similar experience which was resolved by a liberal application of grease to the clamp and saddle rails.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks guys!

I'd initially thought the noise was internal to the saddle / coming from the joint between the rails and the saddle body, rather than coming from the interface between the rails and the clamp..

However, I've slackened the clamp bolts off, added a skim of thick oil to the rails and re-assembled at higher torque (8Nm v. the 12Nm marked as this seemed excessive) and the creaking's totally gone :smile:

So, it looks like the creaking was coming from between the rails and clamp and it's been cured by a combination of lubrication and higher clamp bolt torque. Now I just need to make sure I've got the saddle level correct on my next ride.

Top Bottom