creaking front end?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zizou

Veteran
Basically getting quite alot of creaking noise when going up a tough climb or sprinting but fine otherwise.

I thought it was coming from the bb at first but it doesnt seem to be coming from there as i can sort of replicate the noise if i roll the bike forward with the front brake on (not as loud though) so presumably the noise is happening when i am pulling on the bars when putting in a big effort. Any ideas what this could be?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Could be the headset bearings. May need greasing.

OP
OP
zizou

zizou

Veteran
Thanks for the quick answer will give that a go (or at least look at some videos on youtube and see if it looks like a job i can do or if it is take it to the LBS time :biggrin: )

ajb

Try seeing how tight the bars are as they might have come lose

+1, I had the same thing,
Doe's it do it if you ride along holding the bars right in next to the stem ?????
mine would do it holding with hands "wide apart" giving more leverage on the bars.

Take the bars off, give it all a good clean, re-tighten and all should be ok.

Wardy

Not wishing to alarm you, but I recall reading somewhere about a bloke who had a similar sound from his handlebars, usually when he was out of the saddle, and eventually one side of them broke. Luckily he wasn't belting down a hill at the time.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I had a very loud creak from my head set , when i took the spacers off i found a big metal washer that goes over the bearing has split and was only held in by the pressure of the spacers, glad i took it to the LBS asap.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's the fluffin headset assembly...... so called easy aheadsets....!!!

1 Eliminate stem/bar creak.

2 Bet it's the bloody head set tensioner washer split ring thingy.................. !!

SORTED !

Carbon and a bit of grease - yeh..no probs.. water and rain - then worry ! :tongue:

Top Bottom