Creaking when pedalling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The simple answer is that creaks on a bike can come from the most unexpected place as the sound seems to get transmitted along the frame. Thus my advice is to try and eliminate possible sources of the creaks one by one.

Wot he said.

If you can replicate stationary it helps enormously, eg wrenching the bars in all axes, standing hard on the pedals individually etc

Reactions: C R

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hold the brakes on and rock the bike back and forth. If there is no creaking this may rule out the headset bearings and the handlebar clamp and stem.
Take out the seat pin and clean it thoroughly and put it back in.
Try some different pedals to illiminate them.
It's all a process of illmination trying to find creaks.
Good luck.

The internet is littered with incredible tales of people tightening a screw on a cleat - or greasing a seat post and the creak is gone.

IME though the bottom bracket is often the culprit.

You haven't said the age or usage of the bike -but if you can't find anything obvious -id be looking at getting that swapped out.

[Puts tin hat on ] !!

Mike_P

Guru
Creaky cleats are a pain especially when its a nut in the shoe that has come loose slightly rather than bolt tightness. The simple check for that is to wear a diiffernt pair of shoes unless you are really unlucky and they have the same issue.

november4

Noises can be elusive....after weeks of tracing an intermittent 'cheep' sound, found it was my shoe rubbing the crank.....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Noises can be elusive....after weeks of tracing an intermittent 'cheep' sound, found it was my shoe rubbing the crank.....

I've had that one too!

Polished crank.jpg

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Much more likely to be something that isn't the BB, especially when it sounds like it really is the BB! Just my opinion, of course...

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
The squeak that I had the last time I rode was the Allen keys in my saddle bag jingling against each other!

If the creaking only occurs when you're pedalling, I would advise riding routes which don't involve pedalling. See if you can devise a ride that you can freewheel all the way round. HTH :okay:

Check the frame for cracks.Take everything off the bike that might cover it and inspect it. I had a battery bag covering this break which I didn't find for several weeks, I just kept adding anti seeze to the seatpost as i thought it was the source.

I took the battery bag off for another reason and was a bit shocked!:wacko:

Attachments

• IMG_20191127_225211314.jpg
    IMG_20191127_225211314.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 10

C R

Guru
The squeak that I had the last time I rode was the Allen keys in my saddle bag jingling against each other!

If the creaking only occurs when you're pedalling, I would advise riding routes which don't involve pedalling. See if you can devise a ride that you can freewheel all the way round. HTH :okay:

Paging Mr Escher

Mike_P

Guru
After cleaning and greasing the ebikes seat post, chainring bolts etc I was in the mind of doing the quick releases in a bid to resolve a creak that occurs under load but an urgent shopping trip was first called for. Um...that D lock mount is a bit loose; tightened the central tightening bolt and the creak has gone!

Top Bottom