Creaking When Turning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

junkie_ball

Hi i have a fairly new cannondale synapse carbon (3-4 months old) i've noticed that when turning the wheel i am getting a creaking noise from the bottom of the headset (even when turning the wheel with no weight on) thinking i need to drop the headset out clean and re-grease bearings. The bike has only covered just under 500 miles all dry (apart from one ride). my other road bike went the best part of a few thousand miles in all weathers before i needed to look at the bearings in the headset. Could it be a case that the headset did not get much grease at the factory hence the reason it now needs doing so soon? Or am i on the wrong track here and the creaking could be something else?

Also use a torque wrench on bolts so don't think its a case any bolts are over tightened.

Tim Hall

At that young age I'd take it back to the shop and get them to fix it.

screenman

Legendary Member
On external cabling you can often get a noise coming from where the gear cables connect with the down tube, a very small squirt of oil cures that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

On external cabeling you can often get a noise coming from where the gear cables connect with the down tube, a very small squirt of oil cures that.

I have di2 and hydraulic disc so no cables as such so don't think thats the cause although i will check the hydraulic lines before ruling it out.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My Synapse started to creak a bit in the lower headset after 1k. A quick disassemble and grease sorted it out. It had been ridden in rain a few times but I was still surprised by the muck.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
^^^^whs^^^^
I had an irregular creaking on my Synapse which was getting really annoying. Grease in the headset sorted it. Mine didn't have the muck, but it was still very dry, after being ridden, albeit in all weathers, for a relatively short period.
I seem to recall someone else on the forum posting recently about having a similar problem with a Synapse.

OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

Will take apart clean and re-grease tomorrow and see if thats sorts it. As whilst I've only ridden in bad weather once the roads i do ride are quite mucky and grimmy wouldn't surprise me if it has got in the lower bearing of the headset. If not will take back to my LBS i purchased it from and see what they think.

Top Bottom