Creaky handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Creaky bloody handlebars

I've got a CB XC sport (cross between Urban 100 & 200) and I keep getting this creaking noise from my handlebars whenever I lean on / off.

The stem is an adjustable, alloy, single bolt / slide the bars through type of thing and the bars are steel (OEM).

When I first got this bike the noise developed so I tightened the bolt up and it disappeared only to re-appear, so I pinched the bolt up a tad more but it's back again and I don't want to tighten it any more as from experience I know it's tighter than the torque setting it should be.

I wouldn't mind but I cannot hear my knees creaking for it !

Any ideas how to stop it, it's just a minor niggle.

TIA

col

Legendary Member
Iv done something similar with a pedal EF,try loosening it and putting some grease in between the contact surfaces,it might be a bit dry,so squeeky,it might work,it did with my pedal.

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

col said:
Iv done something similar with a pedal EF,try loosening it and putting some grease in between the contact surfaces,it might be a bit dry,so squeeky,it might work,it did with my pedal.

I was thinking that col but I had visions of my bars spinning in the stem set when I put my brakes on !!!
It's something I would naturally do at work on a dry joint, but I'll give it a go.
Cheers mate. :biggrin:

killiekosmos

Veteran
I had a similar creak on my Giant SCR 2. I lubricated the braze-ons where the cables attached to the frame. Seems to have done the trick

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

col said:
Hows the creak EF?
Creaks gone from handlebars now thanks col, as my Grandad told me, lubrication is every thing !

I'm thinking of swapping the bars for an alloy pair anyway (maybe).

Just need to sort out the seatpost now, but being a suspension post I've always thought it was the spring that was creaking so never really bothered about that.

Top Bottom