1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creaky handlebars

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Elmer Fudd, 1 Oct 2007.

1. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Creaky bloody handlebars

I've got a CB XC sport (cross between Urban 100 & 200) and I keep getting this creaking noise from my handlebars whenever I lean on / off.

The stem is an adjustable, alloy, single bolt / slide the bars through type of thing and the bars are steel (OEM).

When I first got this bike the noise developed so I tightened the bolt up and it disappeared only to re-appear, so I pinched the bolt up a tad more but it's back again and I don't want to tighten it any more as from experience I know it's tighter than the torque setting it should be.

I wouldn't mind but I cannot hear my knees creaking for it !

Any ideas how to stop it, it's just a minor niggle.

TIA

2. col

col Veteran

Iv done something similar with a pedal EF,try loosening it and putting some grease in between the contact surfaces,it might be a bit dry,so squeeky,it might work,it did with my pedal.

3. OP
    OP
    Elmer Fudd

I was thinking that col but I had visions of my bars spinning in the stem set when I put my brakes on !!!
    It's something I would naturally do at work on a dry joint, but I'll give it a go.
    Cheers mate. :biggrin:

4. xroads

xroads New Member

grease the bevelled bit of the stem. It can get quite rusty down there.

5. killiekosmos

killiekosmos Über Member

I had a similar creak on my Giant SCR 2. I lubricated the braze-ons where the cables attached to the frame. Seems to have done the trick

6. col

col Veteran

Hows the creak EF?

7. I had a creak from my seatpost - I'd done the same as you and kept tightening figuring that would be the last place you'd put grease - but the lbs advised me otherwise and since then the creak is gone.

8. OP
    OP
    Elmer Fudd

Creaks gone from handlebars now thanks col, as my Grandad told me, lubrication is every thing !

I'm thinking of swapping the bars for an alloy pair anyway (maybe).

Just need to sort out the seatpost now, but being a suspension post I've always thought it was the spring that was creaking so never really bothered about that.