Creaky.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

allen-uk

Newish bike has started creaking, under pressure (i.e. up inclines when I'm pushing the pedals down hard).

I've had a look at some possible sources, making sure nuts etc are tight, but can't find anything awry. It seems (only seems) to be coming from the bottom bracket general area.

Do cheapish bikes creak like this, or is it a more serious portent?

Ta.

Allen.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
allen-uk said:
Newish bike has started creaking, under pressure (i.e. up inclines when I'm pushing the pedals down hard).

I've had a look at some possible sources, making sure nuts etc are tight, but can't find anything awry. It seems (only seems) to be coming from the bottom bracket general area.

Do cheapish bikes creak like this, or is it a more serious portent?

Ta.

Allen.

Although most creaks sound lke they come from the BB very often they are from elsewhere. Saddle rails and seatpost are a favourite.

jayce

ride the bike off the seat if its still there take out the bb and check it and the pedals my winter bike was only 2 months old and my bb went

OP
OP
A

allen-uk

Love to, Jayce (i.e. ride it off the seat), but disability holds me to the seat, I'm afraid.

It only does it (creaks) under pressure. When I'm just pootling, no nasty noises.

A.

jayce

is it a creak or can you feel a little grinding if its a creak lube all moving parts and joints and see if it gets worse in time

OP
OP
A

allen-uk

No, no grinding, just the creak. I've oiled the chain and gears recently, which made them work better. How do I lube the bottom bracket? In the good old days, there was a little oil hole on the top with a flip-cover, but not these days!

A.

jayce

most a sealed these days ,i could be the crank arms if its just a creak and you have oiled everything i wouldnt worry ,unless it gets louder if you cant find it then take it to the lbs perhaps they can find the noise

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I thought I had a creaky stem yesterday until I snapped the (carbon) steerer whilst pulling up on the bars climbing. Be careful out there.

Top Bottom