Creating a GPX File / Sharing route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have created a route based on a previous ride. I used ridewithgps. I exported the fit as FIT and copied into the garmin which was connected via USB. What is the easiest / cheapest way to create a gpx file and share the route ?

I have access to free versions of garmin connect and strava ?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You can share ridewithgpx routes easy enough.
You can either export the route as a gpx or you can just give a link with the url, such as https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35898762

In ridewithgps click on the Send to Device.
Click the three dots.
Click on more export options and you get this ...

Then download the file.
Simple.
And I was never offered the trial, and I'm on the free version.

Edit...as below I did this on PC.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
ok - it asks me to start a free trial when I try to export as GPS ?
Have you joined and logged in to RWGPS? The free versions do change from time to time but I have just checked my version and I can still export to my laptop for free OK.

At the moment I normally use the free version of www.alltrails.com (was GPSies) to create the course and add to my old Garmin 810 via usb. The user experience is very similar to www.ridewithgps.com, but with the added bonus that you can add your own notes in the form of a 'waypoint'; like 'café', 'bikeshop', a feature that is no longer free with ridewithgps; hence my switch to Alltrails. One handy feature I like is you can toggle between 'hiking-cycling-driving' when creating, so you can switch to 'hiking' if you want to take a shortcut over a footbridge for example then back to driving if you want to stay on roads. There are two cycle focused modes, 'Bike touring' may include a smooth trail where as 'Road biking' will be on paved roads and paths that support bicycle access.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Have you joined and logged in to RWGPS? The free versions do change from time to time but I have just checked my version and I can still export to my laptop for free OK.

At the moment I normally use the free version of www.alltrails.com (was GPSies) to create the course and add to my old Garmin 810 via usb. The user experience is very similar to www.ridewithgps.com, but with the added bonus that you can add your own notes in the form of a 'waypoint'; like 'café', 'bikeshop', a feature that is no longer free with ridewithgps; hence my switch to Alltrails. One handy feature I like is you can toggle between 'hiking-cycling-driving' when creating, so you can switch to 'hiking' if you want to take a shortcut over a footbridge for example then back to driving if you want to stay on roads. There are two cycle focused modes, 'Bike touring' may include a smooth trail where as 'Road biking' will be on paved roads and paths that support bicycle access.

OK - cheers - just checked and it lets me export a GPX file now - was sure it didn't at the weekend. ??? - or perhaps my brain wasn't working - cheers all.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
If you like waypoints give www.alltrails.com a go Dogtrousers, you will find it very similar to RWGPS

Top Bottom