Credit where due to Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixmile

Veteran
Could you have been any less prepared for an emergency? :rolleyes:

My local Halfords is good but 3 others relatively nearby have all been shocking. It all just comes down to finding a decent staff member or two.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
True, but sometimes the kudos and good press you might get on places like this and by word of mouth outweigh the small cost incurred.

Totally agree. My LBS never charges me for small favours, and as a result I knowingly pay extra for a number of things which I purchase there, instead of online. Swings and roundabouts. Same for me in my business, I often give people a little extra free, expecting nothing in return. However I believe that what goes around comes around.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
The Bodmin Halfords and the one in Truro are both excellent, if anyone gets a bike issue when down in the South West.

Glad that you had a good experience with your one.

screenman

Legendary Member
The guy in Halfords did manage to get a 27.2 seatpost into a 26.8 down tube which I was impressed by, he did have to use a large lump hammer though. The technician holding the bare bulb with greasy fingers was also impressive, the paint mixing guy who I would not let mix custard was a delight.

Don't even get me started on windscreen repair, that I can rant about for ages.

There are I am sure some excellent staff in some of them, just that despite looking they must be hiding from me.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The guy in Halfords did manage to get a 27.2 seatpost into a 26.8 down tube which I was impressed by, he did have to use a large lump hammer though. The technician holding the bare bulb with greasy fingers was also impressive, the paint mixing guy who I would not let mix custard was a delight.

Don't even get me started on windscreen repair, that I can rant about for ages.

There are I am sure some excellent staff in some of them, just that despite looking they must be hiding from me.

Frankly I think the lump hammer and seatpost story is bull.

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Could you have been any less prepared for an emergency?

Not really... In my defence I have two pouches, I was rushing out having changed rucksacks and picked up my hybrid pouch rather than MTB pouch. As I've not been going too far from a point help/tools/spares on the hybrid the hybrid pouch hasn't seen much love since before Xmas. When somebody it's contents were used to help random bob at the side of the road when I had the bag in the car.

screenman

Legendary Member
Frankly I think the lump hammer and seatpost story is bull.

The measurements might be slightly out, the lump hammer not! I tried to talk the customer into refusing the bike.

Tritton road Lincoln branch.

Last edited:

Sixmile

Veteran
Not really... In my defence I have two pouches, I was rushing out having changed rucksacks and picked up my hybrid pouch rather than MTB pouch. As I've not been going too far from a point help/tools/spares on the hybrid the hybrid pouch hasn't seen much love since before Xmas. When somebody it's contents were used to help random bob at the side of the road when I had the bag in the car.

I know what it's like! I was constantly swapping my saddle bag between bikes so just bought another and a second multi tool, levers and patches. I'm still changing over the pump and lights though and yesterday I forgot to change over the pump. Fortunately I didn't need it but would've had to find a Halfords to inflate my tube if the worst did happen!

Top Bottom