Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
England have lost the semifinal.
It was a good effort but NZ batters were great in the last 10 overs.
They won with a over to spare.

AndyRM

XOXO
England have lost the semifinal.
It was a good effort but NZ batters were great in the last 10 overs.
They won with a over to spare.

Really impressive second half from them. I was only able to start listening in the tenth over and it seemed England had it in the bag, so I apologise to everyone for putting the mockers on.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Dreadful 17th over by england cost them the match……until then they were strolling towards a win

AndyRM

XOXO
New Zealand are probably my favourite team behind England and Scotland (who I support grudgingly because they are pish). Thought it was very classy when they didn't take a run because Rashid got blocked.

For such a tiny nation they aren't half fierce competitors, and cricket isn't even their national sport!

AndyRM

XOXO
From the article on the Beeb about the game:

"Neesham was the batter who, in 2019 at Lord's, dropped to his haunches, head resting on his bat, after failing to see New Zealand over the line in the super over."

Didn't know that and I don't think they mentioned it in the commentary, cool fact!

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
They made an awful lot of friends that day with their dignity in defeat. I like the cut of their jib and I hope they stuff Aus/Pak in the final.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
"death-bowling", something we are normally good, at went astray. Missing Tymal Mills who is brilliant at it did cost us, but Woakes and Jordan make it a bit easy for NZ, and we should have shuffled in an over of spin earlier in the inning, which left Rash to bowl over 18.

but these are small margins - we nearly had Neesham out on the Bairstow catch - he hit 3 sixes (incl that ball) in the next few balls.

I found the win predictor very odd as it had England has heavy favourites from early in the NZ innings, despite the fact they were only 5-10 runs behind England at most points, with wickets in hand. I thought it was a tight game all the way through and all credit to NZ for recovering froma poor start and whacking themselves over the line.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
but these are small margins - we nearly had Neesham out on the Bairstow catch - he hit 3 sixes (incl that ball) in the next few balls.
T20 is very much small margins.
The South African spinner got a hat trick against England with 3 slogs caught on the boundary. These could easily have been 18 runs but were wickets. Luck seems to play a big part in very close games.
I enjoy watching short format cricket but it will never be better than a proper test match.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Another great t20 semi final this evening….but like england last night, pakistan threw it away

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Winning the toss and batting second does seem to offer a significant advantage, which is even greater in close games.
It will be interesting to see if the team batting second wins the final too.

Top Bottom