Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The odd thing is that you seem willing to judge a newcomer after just one innings ("no more sticky"). You might well remember that Gooch got a pair in his first Test, and that even Bradman got plenty of single figure scores. Oh, and whilst it's nice if the openers see off the new ball, your ten over thing is a bit arbitrary. I opened a few times, generally when one of the genuine openers was incapacitated. It always seemed to be against Wayne Daniel, Sylvester Clarke or Wasi Akram. Fun, fun.

340-odd for 3 is a useful day at the office, but against this attack tells us absolutely nothing at all. I'm afraid it might flatter us into thinking Malan is a Test player. I would have preferred an accumulator of runs rather than a one day biffer in England's middle order. A Bell/ Thorpe type player, rather than another shot-maker. It's another collapse waiting to happen when all but one of your players are shot-a-ball millionaires.
Clearly, a new selection should get a fair crack of the whip but there have been quite a number who have been selected on county form while having fairly obvious technical flaws. I remember Gooch failing but soon coming back, Gatting taking an age to get a Test century, Vaughan and Root picked despite having average county credentials.
They were either selected or persevered with because we knew they had the class. I'm not sure the current selectors are as canny.

MikeG

Guru
Clearly, a new selection should get a fair crack of the whip but there have been quite a number who have been selected on county form while having fairly obvious technical flaws. I remember Gooch failing but soon coming back.......

Gooch came back about 2 years later. He was all over the place technically when he first played, but straightened everything up with a new stance and back-lift. Not an easy thing to do. Gatting, interestingly, was first picked ahead of Gower.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Gooch came back about 2 years later. He was all over the place technically when he first played, but straightened everything up with a new stance and back-lift. Not an easy thing to do. Gatting, interestingly, was first picked ahead of Gower.
Blimey, was it 2 years! My fading memory.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush

You were overly generous to me there. It was 3 years.

Bat1 Bat2 Runs Wkts Conc Ct St Opposition Ground Start Date blackArrowUp.gif
0 0 0 - - 1 0 v Australia Birmingham 10 Jul 1975 Test # 760
6 31 37 - - 1 0 v Australia Lord's 31 Jul 1975 Test # 761
54 - 54 - - 1 0 v Pakistan Lord's 15 Jun 1978 Test # 826
20 - 20 - - 1 0 v Pakistan Leeds 29 Jun 1978 Test # 827
0 91* 91 - - 0 0 v New Zealand The Oval 27 Jul 1978 Test # 828
55 - 55 - - 1 0 v New Zealand Nottingham 10 Aug 1978 Test # 829

rugby bloke

Veteran
After a tight start England are ticking along nicely. There has been quite a lot of movement in the air this afternoon and the Windies bowlers looked like they could cause a problem. However Cook has add an additional 30 runs without breaking sweat. It will be fascinating to see what the English bowlers do with the bowl when their turn comes.

lutonloony

Über Member
It's not so much being anti "all things British" as doing what appears on their local TV, which is all American, and heavily features basketball. That's where all the tall athletic fast bowlers have gone. The West Indies, as a construct, pretty much only exists for cricket. Don't forget, the rest of the time these are independent, competitive, nations.
Also baseball, where hitting a damm fast ball pays a lot more

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
So, quite apart from the terrible position the WIndies have got themselves into, this day-night thing....
England doesn't need it. Other countries where the short forms of the game are threatening test cricket might need it but not England.

The TV highlights are necessarily far too late for any sizeable audience from those who don't or won't pay Murdoch. I think it was after midnight that yesterday's highlights were screened.

When it rained yesterday late afternoon play was abandoned for the day. In a normal day test with rain at that stage of the day's play, there would have been pressure to get the covers off before the day's end. In the event, by the time they'd have got the ground back into a playable condition, everyone would have gone home or collapsed legless in the barmy army stand by then. So they didn't bother.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
19 wkts in a day.
What a shambles WI are. So sad.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
West Indies cricket is a shambolic embarrassment on and off the pitch. Such a shame for what was once the most feared test nation.

and not really any clear path to recovery. Just feels like WI cricket at test level is in terminal decline and will probably be replaced by Bangladesh. A sad state of affairs for those who remember the all-conquering sides of old but the admin of WI cricket is hopeless and there are much more lucrative sporting options for athletic kids these days

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
There's a decent competitive Test match happening.
It's the first competitive match we've had all summer. The others seem to have all lost equilibrium from very close to the start. Still, a couple of early wickets and imbalance could reestablish itself very quickly tomorrow.

Top Bottom