Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
but there is a lot of promise for the next few years
I'm not sure about that !
We've not got a 1,2 or 3 at the moment which is a major flaw in a Test team.
Jimmy and Broad are not getting any younger and we don't have a dedicated spinner.

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
What a fantastic series! What a great finale! And what a delight to see Sam Curran declared - rightly in my view - Man of the Series! Best summer's cricket I can recall. Ginger beers all round!

I'm not sure about that !
We've not got a 1,2 or 3 at the moment which is a major flaw in a Test team.
Jimmy and Broad are not getting any younger and we don't have a dedicated spinner.

Fair comments there, Richie Poo!

The wicket-keeper role(s) are between Bairstow and Buttler (my preference) but both worth their place in the side.

Anderson and Broad are getting on, but have another 1-2 years at Test level. Woakes, when fit, is a shoe-in, and Wood, too, plus there is Ball and Overton to consider, form permitting. And what happened to Steve Finn?

Moen needs to be worked on, and Rashid, although he bowls at least one boundary ball an over, gets important wickets regularly and can bat OK for a no. 8/9.

Openers, yes, is a problem, esp. with Cook's retirement and, TBH, I'm struggling to think of young step-ins. There's a young (West Indian-born) player awaiting his British citizenship (forget his name and county) who looks to be the next 'big thing'.

The problem is, IMO, too many 'good' county players are getting to play Test matches and lack the technique and application at that level. Hales, Roy, Robson, Stoneman, Lyth, Vince, Malan, Westley, Pope, Hameed etc.

Time will tell.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Just catching up with the Sri Lanka match. A great win.

One amazing stat is that England conceded just 3 extras across 2 full innings.
0 wides
0 no balls
0 byes
3 leg byes

That has to be some sort of record.

I hope you’re not under the affluence of incohol? :cheers:

No, just using my phone without reading glasses and typing with big fingers and thumbs! :smile:

Cheers.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
England should, I repeat should have it sewn up from here.
All the top order are out and on a 5th day wicket.
At tea today, Sri Lanka had all the initiative and I was thinking they had it sewn up. So, turnarounds seem part and parcel of this test. Good chance though.

As an aside, why isn't Test Match Special covering this test but is covering the women's ODIs? Shouldn't the word ''Test'' mean something?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
At tea today, Sri Lanka had all the initiative and I was thinking they had it sewn up. So, turnarounds seem part and parcel of this test. Good chance though.

As an aside, why isn't Test Match Special covering this test but is covering the women's ODIs? Shouldn't the word ''Test'' mean something?
TMS lost the rights for away matches. Talk Sport bought them.

Top Bottom