Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Good knocks from Curran and Ali but that top order needs to start firing or we're screwed.
Some sobering stats at the start of this evening's highlights prog on Ch5:

upload_2018-9-1_22-52-52.png

I agree Curran has been outstanding - to play an innings-saving innings and then come out and bowl out their danger man, then come out & play another blinder - at 20! Stokes has quietly done great work too...displaying an untypical discipline to crucially stop the rot, twice in the match, when things were in real danger of falling to pieces.

Half way thru' the penultimate match, still totally in the balance, what a series!

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
An intriguing last day. More than the Indians have ever chased in s 4th innings over here but looks eminently achievable.
England are slight favourites I suppose but my pessimism won't quite let me compute that thought.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Some sobering stats at the start of this evening's highlights prog on Ch5:

View attachment 428016

I agree Curran has been outstanding - to play an innings-saving innings and then come out and bowl out their danger man, then come out & play another blinder - at 20! Stokes has quietly done great work too...displaying an untypical discipline to crucially stop the rot, twice in the match, when things were in real danger of falling to pieces.

Half way thru' the penultimate match, still totally in the balance, what a series!
Given the way the openers have been performing and having watched Curran against the new ball in today's highlights, I started wondering whether he'd ever opened. He's looked amazingly unruffled throughout and seems to bring a kind of calmness to the batting, a calmness which the top order sorely needs.

D

Deleted member 1258

Rather see Curran at no. 3 and not Moen. Bit of a mistake imo.

Yes,I wondered what the thinking was with promoting Moen, I suspect promoting Curran would be a better idea.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Yes,I wondered what the thinking was with promoting Moen, I suspect promoting Curran would be a better idea.
Curran at first drop would be a really bad idea. He could be in after a couple of overs facing effectively a new ball

I don't think he has a technique suited to that

Assuming Root sticks at 4, England's top 3 are a mess. I'd give Hameed an extended run opening. Keep Cook for now to provide continuity. At 3? Not sure, wonder if Jennings could handle it long term? No other great options

Serge

Über Member
England need someone like a Ponting, Dravid or Pujara at three: unfortunately no-one really comes to mind to fill that space for England.

I assume Ian Bell has been discarded once and for all.
Ian Bell's a good shout. Age should be no barrier at either end of the scale.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Cook retires.
No great surprise he has been below par for 12 months.
The problem is we don’t have any replacements.

Top Bottom