Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
At the end of the round robin stage. What happens if two or more teams have the same number of points?i
Net Run Rate

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's going to put those that didn't play due to rain at a disadvantage surely.

Or not. It's early.

Not really. If you're a mediocre team (such as Sri Lanka) and you are scheduled to play, say, India and get rained off, you get a point and no impact on your NRR. You can then play maybe Afghanistan, win and have a healthy positive NRR. The system won't let a truly weak team through but you could easily get a mediocre team through if they happen to get their really tough games rained off

Really the ICC should have built in a few potential fixtures where rained off games could have been played. Nowhere is more than a few hours away and there are more than enough grounds to cope. It's just penny pinching. If the wet weather continues we will not get the best four teams in the semis

Stephenite

Membå
Not really. If you're a mediocre team (such as Sri Lanka) and you are scheduled to play, say, India and get rained off, you get a point and no impact on your NRR. You can then play maybe Afghanistan, win and have a healthy positive NRR. The system won't let a truly weak team through but you could easily get a mediocre team through if they happen to get their really tough games rained off

Really the ICC should have built in a few potential fixtures where rained off games could have been played. Nowhere is more than a few hours away and there are more than enough grounds to cope. It's just penny pinching. If the wet weather continues we will not get the best four teams in the semis
Thanks for making it clear for me.

AndyRM

XOXO
Superb bowling from England against the Windies. Keeping them within touching distance of 200 is an excellent effort.

Worrying about Roy and Morgan though. No real need for them today (I hope, though I've probably jinxed it now) but they'll be a big miss if their injuries are serious.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Magnificent batting from Bangladesh and some completely feckless bowling from WIndies to help them along. Oh, the short ball just got hit to the boundary, let's bowl another one....

I was wondering if the current format could be improved? With the prospect of a bunch of dead rubbers now the top four are almost guaranteed what about extending to 12 teams with 4 seeded teams groups then QF, SF and final, er, a bit like the footy?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I was wondering if the current format could be improved? With the prospect of a bunch of dead rubbers now the top four are almost guaranteed what about extending to 12 teams with 4 seeded teams groups then QF, SF and final, er, a bit like the footy?
I actually like this format because you can follow how each team faces up to all the others. Bad weather excepting.....but that's summer 2019.

gavgav

Guru
A little bit of self praise here.

My bowling figures today, for my team, Acton Scott-:

8 overs
7 maidens
1 wicket for 1 run

This after us arriving in the changing rooms and being attacked by a Bat (of the mammal kind, not the wooden kind!!)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
A little bit of self praise here.

My bowling figures today, for my team, Acton Scott-:

8 overs
7 maidens
1 wicket for 1 run

This after us arriving in the changing rooms and being attacked by a Bat (of the mammal kind, not the wooden kind!!)
You'd clearly seen enough bat action in the changing rooms to see any more out on the pitch. Good figures there.

AndyRM

XOXO

The powers that be have fannied around with the format for a long time. This is close to working I reckon, though doesn't give much to the associate nations.

AndyRM

XOXO
Yes and since i posted maybe this format will give us some nervy final games. Lets see. Never watched so much cricket its been great.

The weekend certainly livened up what has been a largely predictable, though still entertaining tournament.

The only real surprise (for me at least) is just how poor South Africa have been, they're playing in a way which would have just about been competitive 10 years ago! Too many players the wrong side of 30 and no real evidence of the next Amla, du Plessis or de Kock ready to take over.

Top Bottom