Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I know most people seem to need to separate winner from runner up, gold from silver, but I think that a tied match is the perfect result. And NZ didn't deserve to lose that any more than England would have done. The match was pure (joint) gold

Catching up with the highlights now. I was out having a meal at an Indian restaurant, not that any food came out of the kitchen until the game was settled, and the waiters plus me were all huddled around an iPhone that was streaming the game, so I need now to see the final stages on a bigger screen.

Wow what an incredible match that was.Got up this morning still buzzing,turned the tv on and started watching all the recordings.
I have watched a lot of cricket over the years but this has got to be the best of the lot.
With an amazing mens final at wimbledon and hamilton winning the british GP what a super sunday that was.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If this morning's Times wraparound isn't the best special cover ever, I'd like to know what is:

658.jpg

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Wouldn't work for tests, white balls deteriorate too quickly.
Well then just chuck it away and get another one out the box. All that fannying around about how the 'ball turns' and if it's been tampered with is old hat. I mean as kids we used to make our own balls out of a stone wrapped in newspaper then tightly wrapped with masking tape my dad used to 'borrow' from his works. They were just as good as the real thing!!:whistle:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The Australians are already saying the over throws rule was incorrectly interpreted.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...s/news-story/df8fb4f013f4f6fa4ae04cff9b7cb105
The NZers were very sporting about their loss. I particularly liked their captain's post game press conference. He was so laid back,even to the extent of making the defeat insignificant as the taking part in such a 'wonderful thrilling entertaining game' was more important than the victory to his side. I can't imagine the Australians being so sporting in defeat.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The NZers were very sporting about their loss. I particularly liked their captain's post game press conference. He was so laid back,even to the extent of making the defeat insignificant as the taking part in such a 'wonderful thrilling entertaining game' was more important than the victory to his side. I can't imagine the Australians being sporting.
EFA ;)

philk56

Guru
A remarkable game. I watched it to end just before 3am here and managed to get some sleep once my heart rate went back to normal! As already commented New Zealanders have been pretty gracious but Aussies here are moaning there should have been a second super over etc. Admittedly using the number of boundaries is a bit arbitrary but another method might have been to refer back to the group game between the two sides, when of course we thrashed the Kiwis.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
A remarkable game. I watched it to end just before 3am here and managed to get some sleep once my heart rate went back to normal! As already commented New Zealanders have been pretty gracious but Aussies here are moaning there should have been a second super over etc. Admittedly using the number of boundaries is a bit arbitrary but another method might have been to refer back to the group game between the two sides, when of course we thrashed the Kiwis.
Moaning Aussies? Surely not...:rolleyes:

In the 50+ years I've followed and played cricket, I've never seen an over (let alone it being the final over in the World Cup FINAL) like that.

. . 6 6 W1 W1 (and in that manner of a run-out on the 2nd run twice)

I doubt very much in the history of cricket six balls in one over have been scored like that.

I forgot to mention that the 6s were unusual to the extreme: one over the boundary without bouncing, as is the norm, the other, a run two and a then deflected (off the bat) for four overthrows. I love the idiosyncrasies cricket throws up.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

I suspect the Aussies are moaning because they know what a fillip this win will be to England's confidence going into the Ashes series

2 weeks on Thursday it all starts again!!!

(and for the avoidance of doubt, I am predicting an England win)

Top Bottom