Criminal Damage Investigation - Need your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I was on the Tour de Broads doing the 40m route with a first time road biker and we had a wonderful time, save for one incident.

A grey/silver van tried to push me (and I later found out, several other riders) into the verge on the A149, somewhere between Stalham & Bridgeham if I recall correctly. I am fuzzy on this as I don't know the area, but reviewing my Strava data, it appears to be the only area we were briefly stationary.

He was so close I slapped the side of his van to warn him off - I was leaning against the still moving van with my forearm as it was continuing to pull toward the curb, I was out of options and out of balance through surprize. Put the flat of your arm against a wall and slap it with you palm and you'll get the picture of what I did.

He stopped and I drew along side, frankly coursing with adrenaline through fright and expecting a sorry mate, only for him to declare; "That's criminal damage you've done, I've got it all on my dashcam, I want you name" I gave it to him and frankly, mixed it with expletives and offered to spell it for him if he found the letters tricky. I was fuming, completely dumbfounded, but cycled off. I can't be arsed with this sort of nonsense.

However, he then overtook and physically forced us/me (my companion was behind at this point) into a junction a little further up the road and having basically been run off the road and with nowhere to go due to a kerb/verge in front of me, I stopped. He got out of the van and was as keen as possible to get in my face saying he wanted my name, me address etc, repeating his accusation of criminal damage. By this time, I've looked at the side of the van twice and you can't even see a hand print. The van was in good condition by the way, so this didn't exactly require more than a glance

Now I'm 15st of rugby coach and every single fibre of my body wanted to push his teeth in, throw him in the van and then stamp all over his dashcam, but I didn't. Why? Because he was over 60, 7st wet through and frankly, I'd have been in trouble. Somewhere, a voice on my shoulder was saying 'you'll be in trouble if you do' and anyway, it's not my way. I haven't had a fight since school and want to keep it that way. Then another female cyclist drew alongside and said 'Just cycle away, just cycle waya' and she was right, so I/we did.

He was clearly out to provoke people and a bit further up the road a group we passed said he had performed the same maneuver on them a couple of hundred yards earlier. I should have asked names/taken competitor numbers and memorized them for later use, but as no one was injured and the worst exchange was bad language (all mine I'll add) I forgot about it.

Then, on Saturday, I got an email from Norfolk Constabulary asking if I'd contact them in connection with an incident of alleged criminal damage and a public order disturbance. Oddly, Gmail sorted into 'Promotions' and it was Sunday before I saw it. I immediately rang the number and was surprised when I instantly got the Constable who'd sent the email and he requested that I attend a station to offer up my side of events. An extremely pleasant fellow who said " we know there are two sides to every story and we have to hear yours" and then proceeded to ask me when and where was convenient and he'd sort everything else out.

I have absolutely no problem with that, as I realise they have to look at everything and anyway, my dad was a copper for 27 years and if you're not one, it's one heck of a job. Anyway, I will willingly report as and when required and do my bit, because if nothing else, my companion witnessed the latter example of willfully dangerous driving with intent and if his dashcam footage survives, then he'll be hoisted by his own petard and I'll find out exactly how incoherent my choice language was.

What I'm asking is; If anybody else witnessed it the incident, or was indeed one of the other riders on the day he bullied, would you please contact me via Facebook, where I've posted a shorter version of events and the organisers of the event are sharing my post using the hashtag #TourdeBroads

I don't want your version of events or to converse with you about it. I'd just like an email I can pass on to Norfolk Constabulary, should this go further (which I expect/hope it won't) so they can get an independent witness statement, in the event that it was needed.

Thanks in advance and apologies to the Admin if this isn't the right forum, but it's the one that gets the hits!

Russell Williams

Profpointy

Legendary Member
'kinell that's pretty bad.

Drago

Legendary Member
OK. If you're interviewed in a police station, even if you attend voluntarily, you are entitled to free and independent legal advice from the duty solicitor. Insist upon it. If it's outside of the station it's for you to sort out at your own expense.

Tell the nice officer that you are happy to attend, would like the duty solicitor informed in advance of your arrival time, and that you will also be bringing with you a witness.

I doubt it will go very far, but the allegation has clearly been made and the bobby has little choice but to go through the motions. PM me if you'd like to know any more without airing too much publicly.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Nontheless, you should have stuck the head on the little prick!:okay:

and that would have landed the chap with an assault charge at the very least, common sense prevailed in this case and the op held his anger in check, well done Russell. I can't see anything coming from this but as above, a report has been made and as you well know protocol has to be followed.

D

Deleted member 26715

Tell the nice officer that you are happy to attend, would like the duty solicitor informed in advance of your arrival time, and that you will also be bringing with you a witness.
^^^^^This I think is very very good advice, if your father is available as an ex copper he would be a good witness

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
These kind of people make me laugh.... They drive like a total pricks and endanger more vulnerable road users a host of times (multiple just doesnt quantify it) then cry foul when someone they are endangering slaps the side of the vehicle to let them know they are too close.

This guy thought so highly of his driving that he deemed it necessary to go to the police. Hell, if this case ever made it to court and i was the judge, I would fine him for driving without due care and throw the case out and order him to grow a pair of balls, Sadly not many judges will do that these days.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
"That's criminal damage you've done, I've got it all on my dashcam, I want your name"

I would have said nothing at that point, other than suggest he calls the police or offer to call for him. If he indeed has dashcam footage, not doubt that it will show his poor driving (and seemingly audio of numerous altercations with cyclists) from the time.

My only (minor) concern is that if you have no proof of no damage, as there is nothing to have stopped the driver from willingly inflicting some damage himself.

Good luck.

ozboz

Guru
I am not sure what the actual distance he should put between you and his van , but If the Cops see the footage, it may well be used against him , and rightly so ,
Good Luck , may common sense prevail !!!

How did the police get your name/email address?

Sounds like the van driver got a loose crank.
silly-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

Last edited:

*Dusty*

Returning Hero.
I would be telling them the truth, you slapped his van to make him aware of your presence on the road and he got out and was aggressive with you. I don't see how a front facing dash cam could tell any other story if you slapped the side of his van.

Be careful what you say to the police, they will take the path of least resistance.

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
OK. If you're interviewed in a police station, even if you attend voluntarily, you are entitled to free and independent legal advice from the duty solicitor. Insist upon it. If it's outside of the station it's for you to sort out at your own expense.

I doubt it will go very far, but the allegation has clearly been made and the bobby has little choice but to go through the motions. PM me if you'd like to know any more without airing too much publicly.
Thank you for this and I may well PM you.:okay:

Russell

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
How did the police get your name/email address?
I gave him my name (even offered to spell it!) and given the known location date and Google, you wouldn't have to be a copper to work out how to find the event organizer and who to contact for the details of potential candidates.

Of course, you'd have to be a copper before they would hand over the details, I'd hope.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
For a criminal damage charge to be brought against you, criminal damage has to be done. I doubt slapping his car will have done that. Your mistake wss giving him any details at all. You did not need to. Get in touch with the officer in the case and tell him about the taped footage and he can see for himself what happened.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
at the risk of being paranoid it's conceivable the van man is an ex-copper or copper's mate. The fact the police have tracked you down via sketchy details is maybe odd otherwise. Dunno, but I'd be cautious in what you say and take the duty solicitor suggestion made above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom