Critérium du Dauphiné 2-9 June [spoilers]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Too bad for the Canadien to lose the maillot jaune, but an unexpected new leader in Dennis from Garmin-Sharp. Everything I read elsewhere had Froome as comfortable leader after today, so not quite the outcome expected. It'll only be for a day though I think.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
This evening, Brian Smith kept referring to Queertofski. :scratch: I can usually work out who he means, but not this time.

In case you're not joking, he means Michal Kwiatowski of OPQS, one of the up and coming Polish stars. Get used to hearing his name, mispronounced or otherwise.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Too bad for the Canadien to lose the maillot jaune, but an unexpected new leader in Dennis from Garmin-Sharp. Everything I read elsewhere had Froome as comfortable leader after today, so not quite the outcome expected. It'll only be for a day though I think.

I'm sure Sky won't mind one little bit. If anything it's a positive for them? One day less having to control things?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
contador on a shocker... as porte passed him the difference in styles/position was huge.

contador looked arched porte nice and flat

Flat does not always equal being more aero though (same as getting lower doesn't equal being more aero) and it certainly doesn't mean faster! It's a poor assumption to make and one that many amateur riders probably make, leading to positions which are holding them back. Just have a look at the positions many of the top domestic testers are coming out of the wind tunnel with!

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
Flat does not always equal being more aero though (same as getting lower doesn't equal being more aero) and it certainly doesn't mean faster! It's a poor assumption to make and one that many amateur riders probably make, leading to positions which are holding them back. Just have a look at the positions many of the top domestic testers are coming out of the wind tunnel with!

My opinion was based on the info id heard about nibali improving his position and now clearly improving his tting....

Also people always talk about wiggins perfect position being flat

The Couch

Über Member
This evening, Brian Smith kept referring to Queertofski. :scratch: I can usually work out who he means, but not this time.
Michal "Kwiatek" Kwiatkowski almost (with some exaggeration :smile:) won the Tirreno and had (in my opinion) a brilliant and unexpected continuation of his form in the Classis. After almost winning the Tour of Poland, I had expected him to be good in 1 week races (being good at TT and quite decent in climbing), but he slightly surprised me in the Classics.
I believe he actually will need to decide, whether he will focus on becoming more of a Cancellara type or an Indurain type, since currently he has shown potential for both.

I would guess that for this Dauphine, he should be among the biggest challengers for Froome. (Being that most of the Spanish challengers can't quite TT good enough for 1-week races)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If Dirty Bertie matches Frome in the ITTs in the Tour will you assume he was sandbagging and training here or something more sinister?:whistle:
Is this likely to be Sky's TdF team with a couple of changes? Eisel, Knees, Lopez in the frame?

The Couch

Über Member
I'm sure Sky won't mind one little bit. If anything it's a positive for them? One day less having to control things?
I am not quite sure they won't (need to) take control anyway tomorrow. It looks to be way too hard for Dennis to really believe he will be able to hang on... Sky will have to take control of things, since only tomorrow and the last stage will be the best chances for the climbers to give it a try... And normally you can assume that Bertie will have some (most likely, unfruitful) whacks at it.

The Couch

Über Member
If Dirty Bertie matches Frome in the ITTs in the Tour will you assume he was sandbagging and training here or something more sinister?:whistle:
Is this likely to be Sky's TdF team with a couple of changes? Eisel, Knees, Lopez in the frame?

Don't know how their legs are feeling currently... but I would defintely ask Sivtsov and Cataldo if they feel recovered to be in the Froome express:bicycle: :bicycle::bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
My opinion was based on the info id heard about nibali improving his position and now clearly improving his tting....

Also people always talk about wiggins perfect position being flat

Nibali may well have improved his position that does not necessarily mean getting lower and flatter though, there are many variables to a riders position, and even more variables governing how fast a rider will go.

Wiggins position is always talked up as the perfect position by commentators, it way well be a great position, but it is a position that is great for him (Matt Bottrill has a similar position).

As I said, if interested, look up some of the top UK testers (many of which seem to use the same wind tunnel service, drag2zero) and you will realise that they all come out with different positions that are optimum for them, on the bike they ride. Some will be low, long and flat, others like an aero cannonball!

The reason I recommend looking at the top UK testers is that they are not governed by the UCI in most competition, so many will not remain UCI legal throughout the season, they will take the most aero and powerful position they can, within the much more relaxed regulations of the CTT, so you get to see what variance of optimal positions there really is without having things limited by lots of regulations. To add to this, many of the top guys would be competitive in a pro time trial.

Top Bottom