Critical Mass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whiskey88

I wasn't too sure on where to put this one, but obviously it's the monthly Critical Mass meet in London tonight and I'll be going - my first time attending. If anyone else is there, feel free to come say hi - I'll be wearing bright orange shorts with a bright yellow "Think Bike" backpack.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I won't be at this one but I'm planning to go on a London Critical Mass ride soonish.

Have fun with the punx!

VamP

Banned
I always have visions of fat people telling the world how to run things when I read that name. I'd consider rebranding.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
I'll be on the Manchester one, only as its local, I'm single and I know a lot of people in the cycling community that'll be on it, I go for the social event, not the cause, last one I went to was real good, we ended up at Platt Fields Boat House and watched films powered by bike push bikes, sat on comfy couches, had food and drinks :smile:

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I went to that there London once , sat in 3 lanes of traffic in my lovely car for 2hrs , turned round and went home .

So I do know that cars in that there London have their very own critical mass meeting every day, so a cycling critical mass is just copycat and behind the times.

I always thought cycling was to feel freedom, and to be squashed in with hundreds of other cyclists seems to me to be the exact opposite.

I will be having non critical mass ride tonight in the open lanes of Lancashire, surrounded by gallons of freedom and buckets of fresh air.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I have seen the Critical Mass in Manchester, nice idea, shameful execution!

More commonly known as the "Manchester -Blackpool" ride

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Not been to one yet, have been considering it, not really a big fan of crowds though...

Won't be going tonight as we have our company "curry night".

Maybe next month.

As @DiddlyDodds has mentioned, car drivers in London have a critical mass every day.

Although, I enjoy the car drivers critical masses, as it means I can filter by with little harrasment as they are stuck there fuming about the fact that the roads are crowded by other cars (bloody cyclists, not stuck in traffic like the rest of us) :laugh:

OP
OP
Whiskey88

Whiskey88

It's not a protest, or a confrontation or anything of the sort - it's a real chilled out festival atmosphere. People were bringing sound-system bikes with them, playing out all sorts of different music. You had your really dedicated cyclists with well made and well decorated bikes with lots of illuminations, alongside your casual cyclist on a Boris Bike.

Sure, there were a couple of disagreements with predominantly taxi drivers, but most of them were pretty calm and a lot of them do appear to be understanding that, thanks to the decision of the Law Lords, Critical Mass is a precession and thus is allowed to ride through red lights where the first rider crossed the line on a green. I had one debate with a taxi driver myself, both sides remained calm, he started to understand the movement and that we were only going to be causing a very slight delay.

One thing you do really realise though, is that instead of it being for 3-4 hours each month, car drivers actually have their Critical Mass every single day of the week.

Well I tried it out and loved it. Will definitely be going back. Given my experiences tonight, I can only conclude that the people who "hate" Critical Mass have never tried it.
Oh I've tried it but I like to step back and look at the bigger picture and decided I didn't like it, I wouldn't say I hated it thats too extreme and like you I enjoyed the party like atmosphere at first until I realised it was only the cyclists that were partying, drivers/peds were just getting antagonised.

Top Bottom