Critical Mass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Tried it waaaay back in the day when I often didn't see more than one or two other cyclists on my London commute. Hated it, CM, then.

Tried it a couple of years back now millions cycle everyday in London. Still hated CM.

Got caught in one earlier this year. Still hate CM does nowt and achieves even less.

And as for a Critical Mass? Well it hasn't achieved one really in London has it. The bomb dodgers and the BB's might have done though.

If CM, and London cyclists in general, really wanted things to change in their favour they'd organise two flash mob's each and every time a London Cyclist is killed and have two simultaneous die-in's that last an hour at the site of the death and on Parliament Square/Whitehall. And really mess up the traffic in central and really inconvenience others. In time for the evening news. On which an articulate PR person could present the cyclists "Stop the Murder" case. Then the authorities might take CM seriously rather than patting them on the head like small children who make too much noise. Holding a party on a Friday night, yep, that will change the world.
they've done that.

I've been on several, although not for a few years. The idea is a bit tired now that there's a critical mass on CS7 every weekday morning. I don't think people were antagonised (taxi drivers excluded). It was just one big party. There was nothing not to like, other than bad dress sense and too many fixies.

Linford

Is this not some selfish motor vehicle owners attitudes during their very own every day critical mass (or commute, if you like).

I'm cycle commuting through town and countryside, on urban streets and very busy A roads. I choose my route to best avoid the traffic...as do other cycle commuters.. I don't begrudge the car drivers access to the roads as they pay hansomely for the privilege. Most car drivers see cyclists as rolling obstacles, nothing more or less. They care little for the issues cyclists face as they go about their business, why would they ? . they have their own to worry about....like big artificially made jams.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I'm cycle commuting through town and countryside, on urban streets and very busy A roads. I choose my route to best avoid the traffic...as do other cycle commuters.. I don't begrudge the car drivers access to the roads as they pay hansomely for the privilege. Most car drivers see cyclists as rolling obstacles, nothing more or less. They care little for the issues cyclists face as they go about their business, why would they ? . they have their own to worry about....like big artificially made jams.

They pay handsomely for the privilege to drive a car, not to use the road.
They pay handsomely to sit and fume in traffic jams, of their own making.

Like the rather long tailback through Chelsea Embankment this morning.

One reason of many why I no longer drive.

Linford

I would never commute in a car in London. If the distance was big, It would be a PTW, if it were 15 miles or less, each way I'd cycle (or mix between a PTW and cycling)...and use the Tube.

It is their choice though to commute in that way, so why not respect that ?

OP
OP
Whiskey88

Whiskey88

I must admit that, shy of people who are disabled and need help with transport, I don't understand why anyone chooses to commute via driving in London. You pay loads for creating fumes, get stuck in create traffic jams and don't get anywhere. Even if you don't want to cycle (though I have to ask; who wouldn't want to?) then generally using public transport here is quicker and cheaper.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I would never commute in a car in London. If the distance was big, It would be a PTW, if it were 15 miles or less, each way I'd cycle (or mix between a PTW and cycling)...and use the Tube.

It is their choice though to commute in that way, so why not respect that ?

Who says I don't respect that choice, however, the same can be said the other way around, why can they not respect my commute choice of using the bicycle?
The sheer fact that you have to plan to avoid busy routes says it all, they don't respect that choice ...

I sometimes take the bus, or the underground, I tend to avoid the underground during rush hour though.
When I take the bus I have to add an extra 15 minutes onto my journey during "rush hour", why? Private vehicles clogging the road up, when the private vehicles are less in number the bus is able to stick to its timetable. Why is my choice of using the bus disrespected by drivers not letting the bus out, or by cutting in front of the bus? I as a bicycle user or bus user have as much right to the road as a car driver, yet on both a bus and on a bicycle I have had more dangerous or disrespectful actions taken by car drivers than when I was driving my car.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I must admit that, shy of people who are disabled and need help with transport, I don't understand why anyone chooses to commute via driving in London. You pay loads for creating fumes, get stuck in create traffic jams and don't get anywhere. Even if you don't want to cycle (though I have to ask; who wouldn't want to?) then generally using public transport here is quicker and cheaper.

Having been born out in a remote village in Suffolk, the public transport here I would have to say is AMAZING.
Late or 24hr buses, the underground running until midnight, and the oyster card scheme.
London has it very good, just don't pay by cash!

Linford

Who says I don't respect that choice, however, the same can be said the other way around, why can they not respect my commute choice of using the bicycle?
The sheer fact that you have to plan to avoid busy routes says it all, they don't respect that choice ...

I sometimes take the bus, or the underground, I tend to avoid the underground during rush hour though.
When I take the bus I have to add an extra 15 minutes onto my journey during "rush hour", why? Private vehicles clogging the road up, when the private vehicles are less in number the bus is able to stick to its timetable. Why is my choice of using the bus disrespected by drivers not letting the bus out, or by cutting in front of the bus? I as a bicycle user or bus user have as much right to the road as a car driver, yet on both a bus and on a bicycle I have had more dangerous or disrespectful actions taken by car drivers than when I was driving my car.

You know what the biggest problem with London is ? .....people moving from remote places like villages in Suffolk to live there,clogging the whole system and then complaining that the place is too busy.

I moved my Sister to Hackney 30 years ago when she went to Uni there, and it was rammed back then. I went down to Brent last weekend to collect a scooter (125) in my (private) car..just as well it fittted in as it wasn't rideable, would I want to live there or drive there...hell no. Make your bed, and lie in it.

The biggest problem with my route is poor infrastucture. The authorities have allowed industry to grow, but haven't widened the roads which service these areas' . The worst culprets for close passes are actually commercial vehciles, not private cars.

1305314_10151849250713704_2063604999_n.jpg

Frood42

I know where my towel is
You know what the biggest problem with London is ? .....people moving from remote places like villages in Suffolk to live there,clogging the whole system and then complaining that the place is too busy.

I moved from Suffolk, to Sheffield. I then moved to London because of work, no choice, move or have no job.
I chose to continue working.

Commercial vehicles like buses and lorries have not been a major problem for me, and cab drivers attitudes seem to have improved.
My biggest problem has always been ill informed private vehicle owners, as both a cyclist and a pedestrian, but less so as a car driver.

I can easily get about London by bus, underground, foot and bike.
This was also another reason for me to stop driving in London.

London is fine for cycling and things have improved, but my biggest problems come from private vehicles, and are problems I did not see when I drove a car.

I am happy enough living in London, it is a very convenient place to live, but perhaps that has bred the sense of entitlement some have.

Linford

I moved from Suffolk, to Sheffield. I then moved to London because of work, no choice, move or have no job.
I chose to continue working.

Commercial vehicles like buses and lorries have not been a major problem for me, and cab drivers attitudes seem to have improved.
My biggest problem has always been ill informed private vehicle owners, as both a cyclist and a pedestrian, but less so as a car driver.

I can easily get about London by bus, underground, foot and bike.
This was also another reason for me to stop driving in London.

London is fine for cycling and things have improved, but my biggest problems come from private vehicles, and are problems I did not see when I drove a car.

I am happy enough living in London, it is a very convenient place to live, but perhaps that has bred the sense of entitlement some have.

I'd say that sense of entitlement extends to all modes ;) ....Anyway, I''ll try and get a pic from my commute in a bit of it makes you feel any better :smile:

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I'd say that sense of entitlement extends to all modes ;) ....Anyway, I''ll try and get a pic from my commute in a bit of it makes you feel any better :smile:

LOL

Pic of the commute, bicycle or the motorbike today?
Make sure you get a nice pic of that beautiful infrastrucure that is the roads of Britain, I want to see what my money is paying for!

:laugh:

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Linford's trolling again, moving the thread away from its original theme and onto his own agenda (and an excuse to post pictures of his motor vehicles). More people should try to avoid giving him so much attention, then he might just go away.

Ooops, sorry for continuing the OT.
My excuse is a very bad headache that is not going and making me not think as straight as I normally do (and the paracetamol is having no affect :sad: ).

As to the OP.
I was going to go to a CM and see for myself before deciding.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
2682391 said:
Are you sure that you have paid enough to be entitled to see it?

Probably not, being only 30 yrs of age and all that, I mean those young drivers at 17, what have they paid towards the roads..? :dry: :rolleyes:
Think of the children, surely those three years olds need to pay something towards the pavements they use... :dry: :rolleyes:

Top Bottom