Critics of the Tea? thread!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
It won't last

Arch

Married to Night Train
Having just read Bad Science...

How did they test? Was it a blind tasting? In which case, the person doesn't know it's their favourite mug, and the very phenomena shouldn't apply....

<sups tea from favourite work mug>

:thumbsup:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Except...
If you apply homeopathic principles, there'll be a few Tea? molecules from your favourite mug stuck to your mouth, so any Tea? from another mug will be influenced by the molecular memory from your own mug anyway.
<may not fully understand homeopathy here...>

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Arch said:

How did they test? Was it a blind tasting? In which case, the person doesn't know it's their favourite mug, and the very phenomena shouldn't apply....

I think the point is that it's a pschological thing, so one does have to know that it's your special cup. It doesn't actually taste any different.

Arch

Married to Night Train
No, I think you've got homeopathy sussed there. (Bad Science really is a great book!).

No disrespect to the researcher, but I have to say this falls under stating the bleeding obvious to me.... (please say hi from us all on Tea?, Landers.) Humans (and animals and maybe even plants, I reckon) have an amazing capacity to be comforted by apparently non-existent factors....

Arch

Married to Night Train
rich p said:
I think the point is that it's a pschological thing, so one does have to know that it's your special cup. It doesn't actually taste any different.

That's what I mean. You can't do a true blind test, because the subject has to know. And knowing, they are more likely to conform to the result, I reckon.

I suppose you could brew tea in the normal mug, and a control mug, and then decant into testing vessels, to see if there was any actual taste difference. Or do the test blindfold, with the normal mug and a control mug of identical shape/weight etc to see how much the subject could be fooled.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Arch said:
That's what I mean. You can't do a true blind test, because the subject has to know. And knowing, they are more likely to conform to the result, I reckon.

I suppose you could brew tea in the normal mug, and a control mug, and then decant into testing vessels, to see if there was any actual taste difference. Or do the test blindfold, with the normal mug and a control mug of identical shape/weight etc to see how much the subject could be fooled.

:thumbsup::angry::laugh::angry::laugh::angry::laugh::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Heresy! It should be brewed in a pot!
(I know it often isn't:blush:, but it should be.)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ianrauk's work tea mug has been in said possesion for 20 years this year....
Woebetide anyone who uses it by accident, even worse - horror of horrors uses it for coffee.

Arch said:

Arch

Married to Night Train
TheDoctor said:
;):angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Heresy! It should be brewed in a pot!
(I know it often isn't:blush:, but it should be.)

<counts times TheDoctor brewed tea in a pot at his place>

<fails due to not being able to represent zero on fingers....>

:laugh:

Actually, I may be wrong, I just don't remember extensive pot use...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Mort said:
Erm, Arch, from A level hard sums, I think we used to hold up a hand with all our fingers down for zero. The syllabus may have changed since though :laugh:

Ah, you see, I failed A level Hard Sums, so that's probably why....

OP
OP
Landslide

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Uncle Mort said:
Erm, Arch, from A level hard sums, I think we used to hold up a hand with all our fingers down for zero. The syllabus may have changed since though :laugh:

I seem to remember the black power movement using the same approach during PE classes...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think the weight/thickness of the mug will be part of the equation. I do prefer certain mugs for my (whispers) coffee - I mean how can you have a great cup from a polystrene cup.... (though its still better than nothing and if I'm freezing cold is definitely appreciated.

Top Bottom