Croix De Fer 20 or Whyte Glencoe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a second-hand winter bike, not keen on subjecting my beloved Condor to the rigours of the Scottish winter. I'm looking at a Croix De Fer 20 and a Whyte Glencoe. I was thinking about a bit of mucking about on trails a bit.

I've hankered after a CdF for a while and have seen a used one in superb condition at a decent price. I was also taken by a Whyte Glencoe V2 a year or so older and more expensive. I like a x1 system and it gets very good write-ups for the quality of its ride.

I was wondering if anyone who has owned either a Glencoe or a CdF or anyone wanting to stick their two pen'oth in!

Cheers!

vickster

Legendary Member
@wafter @steveindenmark have CDFs. Can’t recall many mentions, if any, of the Glencoe but you could try the search function :okay:

Can’t speak for those two options but can give a big thumbs up for Whyte bikes. I have a 905, wife a Shoreditch, and rate them highly.
A mate of mine has the Wessex One with single chain ring and pretty much uses it for everything, back roads covered in farm muck, trails, gravel tracks and loves it.
Go Whyte

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Here's my thread on my CdF 30 FWIW :smile:

The 20 differs in that it has a Tiagra groupset, semi-hydro (cable actuated) discs, QR wheels and IS-mount brakes. I test-rode a 20 and it was very nice (there are a few more opinions in this thread although with some on the CdF 20).

I'm still generally very pleased with my Genesis after 4.5 months / c. 1800 miles, however it hasn't been without its niggles and I'm now getting some creaking from the bottom bracket so I guess I'm about to find out how good their warranty is!

The Glencoe looks nice for what it is, although personally the CdF would be an easy choice from the two as I didn't want ally (after a cracked frame on previous bike) and I don't like 1x or Sram components. That said on paper it's about 1.5kg lighter than the CdF and it looks like you can get fatter tyres on it. I guess it depends where your priorities lie.

Tbh you'll probably not go wrong with either.. good luck ;)

John_S

Über Member
Hi Uptowntopranking,

Sorry to hear that you missed out on the bikes that you were looking at.

If you’re looking at those bikes at say roughly the £1,400 - £1,600 mark are there any other bikes that you’d consider?

some others to consider might be the following but my apologies as I’ve not had time to check current availability which I appreciate is a big factor at the moment.

some of these are 1x and some are available with 1x but that option is more expensive than the 2x unfortunately.

Brother Cycles Kepler Disc
https://www.brothercycles.com/shop/bikes/kepler-disc-complete/

Cotic Escapade
https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/escapade

The Light Blue Robinson
https://www.thelightblue.co.uk/Sport/complete-bikes

Temple Cycles Adventure Disc
https://www.templecycles.co.uk/pages/adventure-disc-collection

Good luck finding the right bike for you!

John

OP
OP
U
Hi John,

I've lusted after a Light blue Robinson for a long time, but alas it's out of my price range for a second bike. The Escalade looks amazing as well. I'd be like I am with the Condor, scared to take it out in anything more than light rain or on smooth tarmac.

The reason I was looking second hand is mostly price and also if there's a few dents and chips on already I'm less bothered about a few more.

The other two bikes that I'd be interested in new would be the CXR 8.8 and the forthcoming ADV 8.9. Both with full hydraulic brakes. I get a 10 per cent discount thanks to British Cycling so that brings them down to 900 a piece!

Thanks for the suggestions it has let me do a lot of drooling!!!!

ade towell

Another bike you may consider is the Kona Sutra LTD

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/kona...oCmYcQAvD_BwE#kona-sutra-ltd-2020-bike-48-5cm

This bike was brought to my attention by this lovely thread in the travelogue section.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/slovenia-bikepacking-trip-2020.264075/page-2

John_S

Über Member
Hi Uptownpranking, my apologies because I read your message too quickly last night and I completely missed the crucial bit of info that you were after second hand.

Sorry

John

mythste

Veteran
I have a CdF, like you, I got it second hand for commuting duty and touring, without worrying about it getting battered.

I have 5 bikes and it's the one I ride the most. It's currently got 35mm Panaracer GK small knobs on and it's great for battered Manchester roads, canals, off piste "probably shouldn't try and ride down that" trails, and everything in between.

It's heavy, It's "only" got Sora 9 speed, and It's got rust spots from the previous owner really not looking after her. But I don't care about any of that. It's just a good, fun, reliable ride.

This week she's had a pannier rack on and has covered 100 miles commuting. Next week I'm putting my "good" wheels on, Aero bars, and bike packing from Manchester to Newcastle over a few days.

Unfortunately the second hand market still seems to be favouring sellers, but I got this one for a steal at £425 two years ago.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Cor that's a good second hand prices seem to be around 700 quid
Prices seem to vary wildly.. Pre-lockdown you'd see earlier models going for this sort of money on ebay; as it happens I've just had a look and see a decent looking one in Edinburgh sold for £450 although most have gone for more. They do generally seem to retain their value well..

Before I bought my 30 I was tempted by a 20 as De Ver Cycles had the 2019 model (same as 2020 offering) at a grand; which seemed like a good buy when most of the used, more recent CdF 20s seemed to be going for ballpark £700 as you suggest. Iin the end I talked myself up to spending the extra on the 30.

The models vary quite a lot from their inception in 2011(?) to present (a frame geometry change around 2015 being a big one) and I did a lot of research before I jumped in, so if you want to know anything about spec / age tag me with a question and I can probably answer it ;)

mythste

Veteran
Cor that's a good second hand prices seem to be around 700 quid

It seems that the price drops substantially if you can "put up" with a lower quality groupset and their "chromoly" steel as opposed to 725 or whatever else the higher end builds are using.

I also have a 735 equillibrium with ultegra so it was a no brainer for me. The cost of replacing worn out 9 speed parts is pennies compared to the fancy stuff.

Top Bottom