Croix de fer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Is the awol the same as the sequoia?
It's almost identical. I think the fork on the Sequoia is carbon rather than steel on the AWOL but Specialized did chop and change.
The frame itself I believe is identical.

A while ago Evans were selling the Sequoia for £800. A real bargain as it was previously around £1500.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I'm thinking that I want this bike to last. Steel just implies long term to me, and quality, if it is good enough steel. So off road and and other alternative rides, I'm not sure I'd feel happy smashing up a light alloy frame with carbon forks. Surely they won't last?

The croix has two unprotected cables by the looks of it, both of which seem to sit quite far away from the down tube. Other steel bikes seem to have better systems with them clipped in sleeves underneath. Maybe that isn't an issue
It isnt an issue at all.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I'm running an old Dawes Super Galaxy, I bought virtually new in 1994. That old bike has seen some abuse over the years as well as neglect sadly. True enough, the only original components on it are the frame and the front brakes, however it just goes to show that decent quality steel frames just go on and on.

Weight wise, it's probably in a similar ball park to the Croix de Fer and yet, even with 38mm gravel tyres, it still flies along. I can maintain quite a reasonable average speed on it and if the engine was more finely tuned, with less of a penchant for a beer, then I've no doubt I could go faster! The old Galaxy has bar end shifters, so it has very similar cable runs to the Croix der Fer. Instead of the head tube, the cable stops are just in the more traditional place, a third of the way down the down tube, otherwise it's identical to the Croix der Fer.

In 25 years I've never had any issues with the cables at all. The gear changes are crisp, smooth and precise, snapped cables have never happened and as for maintenance, er whats that? Personally, I hate internal cables, the holes into the frame are a potential ingress point for water and the hassles friends have had with rattles puts me right of them. Nope, I see no reason for them what so ever.

Personally given the choice, that Croix der Fer is a no brainer, if I could only convince the wife, I'd probably go for one myself!

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

reviews of the sequoia are that it is heavy, mainly due to the wheels coming in at 5kg

had a look at the Dolan CX

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

I'm convinced by steel I think. I have a high spec carbon race bike, and carbon frame I can build up as a winter bike.

So which colour. Blue, black, yellow or red. Important decisions. If I get the mid range black or yellow I can afford new shifters for my race bike. But not my favourite colours. I like the red 30.

Ah, decisions...

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

Unfortunately I need a small :-) my race bike is like a kids bike, 48cm

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

I'm almost 5.7
The XS should do it and same some weight in the frame!!!
Been to shop today but they had none in. Tried to direct me towards an aluminium Whyte gravel bike. Nice and sleek, that paintwork would get trashed though. Also say a Ridley gravel bike, quite nice.

But they said they could order in a CDF next day so I'll give them a ring and get the 50 in black as a test ride. Not my favourite colour but with tan wall tyres would look striking.

Their online weight is 11.4kg
Guess the XS frame will be a lighter.

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

Right,
I think I made have had s last minute swing to the temple cycles adventure disc. Because it is lighter by 2kg and is just bloody lovely

Nebulous

Guru
It depends what you want it for. I have an equilibrium which has the same external cabling and it has caused me no problems at all. 18 months in and I'm still on the same cables.

I bought it as an audax bike, for comfort over long distances, with guards and fatter tyres and don't do much off-road. I use it most of the time and my fast carbon bike is languishing on a turbo and hasn't been out all year.

Deals can often be had on last year's genesis models. It might be worth doing a good google search. I got mine from UK bike depot, which I'd never heard of, but they were really good.

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

Hi

I saw an equalibrium in the lbs. It's too tour orientated for what I need. My original plan was get my cycle scheme voucher, get a gravel bike so I can go on paths, trails, with the kids, that's the main aim. But I only have my carbon bike for winter so I don't cycle in winter. So then I'm thinking a gravel bike, swop the tyres and commute if I want to in winter. Then I was thinking I wonder if I'd get round the Sunday club rides on it (fast rides)

I've got a Cube carbon frame sitting in the shed with half a groupset on it. OK for commuting and Sunday rides, no good off road.

But having experienced that bike degrade during a winter I'm loath to but anything decent on it, or to buy a bike that will also degrade in a few years.

Hence trying to find a steel frame that will do it all. My heart says the temple adventure disc, my head says the croix de fer, the other boring part of my brain says don't take a risk and get a normal modern aluminium gravel bike.

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

I'd be willing to pay more than the voucher for a steel frame that I knew was going to last.

I'm also taken with the idea of getting my son on his bike and doing some light camping/fishing.

So the croix de fer seems to tick all of those boxes. To be honest, the Temple bike is just me thinking wow, that's amazing, will it fit what I need. It is lighter but not as set up to go fast

Top Bottom