Croix de fer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRHysted

Guru
I'd be willing to pay more than the voucher for a steel frame that I knew was going to last.

I'm also taken with the idea of getting my son on his bike and doing some light camping/fishing.

So the croix de fer seems to tick all of those boxes. To be honest, the Temple bike is just me thinking wow, that's amazing, will it fit what I need. It is lighter but not as set up to go fast

Don’t know if this helps but my Croix de Fer is currently on 3755 miles and my Day One Decade (almost same frame but single speed) is on 5488 miles. The CDF has to have the groupset replaced after I killed it in the Scottish highlands, the DOD has needed the rear wheel hub replaced.

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

Yes makes sense, groupset will always degrade, but I'm guessing the frame is rock solid. My carbon cube I rode through the winter is still workable, but cosmetically, despite being looked after, looks like it's been through a war zone.

How is the croix de fer compared to a road bike? Can you get it up to speed?

Compared to the temple I'm looking at the CDF seemsnto have a much more compact frame

Last edited:

DRHysted

Guru
How is the croix de fer compared to a road bike? Can you get it up to speed?

I rode my Roubaix to work the other week and it was like having a devil on my shoulder shouting “faster,faster” all the time (averaged 18mph over 14 miles).
The CDF can be pushed to get speed I do regularly see 17mph, it just feels too relaxed to put the effort in. I find the frame only feels heavy if you’re lifting it, once rolling you don’t notice the weight. I’m running 700x35 gravel tyres.

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

Ah OK
Thanks for the help . I'm guessing sweeping over to 28 slicker tyres may help on my commute.

And to make my mind up I've just found the 2018 croix de fer in XS at a ridiculous price of 750. And it's in that lovwly retro pale blue/ dove grey

I think that is the one!

contadino

Veteran
The Temple was one of two bikes on my shortlist. They do make beautiful bikes.

In the end I opted for the other bike on my list. Sonder Santiago which is probably more of a tourer than you're looking for. The steel frame is a fantastic ride. The other two bikes I have are also steel frames, but the Sonder is a proper all day ride. Out on it for 8 hours yesterday testifies to that. Got it using a C2W voucher too, which I sort of had to after mithering my boss forever to sign up for C2W.

Enjoy your new CDF.

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

The sonder looks quite racey?

I'd have all of the temple bikes, gorgeous.

But 1100 extra for a retro look and 105? No brainer really. Maybe I'll get the temple single speed with my next voucher....

contadino

Veteran
The sonder looks quite racey?

I'd have all of the temple bikes, gorgeous.

But 1100 extra for a retro look and 105? No brainer really. Maybe I'll get the temple single speed with my next voucher....

Being a confirmed solo - and devoutly uncompetitive - cyclist I feel like I'm going fast on it, but yesterday some fella with thighs like a kangaroo and the skinniest tyres I've ever seen went flying past me. Maybe it looks sporty, but the engine is very much built for comfort rather than speed.

I can't fathom Temple making a single speed. They're in Bristol, right? Where it's very lumpy... Anyway it was the Adventure that was on my list. I think a fair bit of the additional £500 cost compared to my bike is the UK-made 725 frame vs the forrin-made 631 frame. A London shop's going to cost them a bit to run too. It's difficult to say whether the price difference is justified without trying the bike.

Be happy with the bike you're on. :-)

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

I think the temple frames are made abroad and then painted here according to a review. The adventure disc is now 1800, as opposed to 1600 last year.

I've just ordered the croix de fer 2018, beautiful colour. And for £750. Very pleased with the find. Thanks to whoever pointed out the size issue, I checked measurements and it comes in almost to the millimetre the same as my colnago. Ordered pedals, shorts and shoes with the remaining voucher money

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

Oh, the CDF is also Reynolds 725.

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

Yes that's the place. Ordered today I assumed I needed a small, but after looking at the measurements, definately XS, of which there are still quite a few 2018 models left.

Now I'm looking at Brooks saddles, and polished alloy finishing kit haha

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

According to the genesis website I'm at the limit of the XS, but the measurements match my road bike, so I'm assuming it will be ok

Just re measured, it's actually a touch bigger than my road bike

Last edited:

mythste

Veteran
I must confess to being a bit confused about the sizing here. I'm 5'7 and have a 54cm Croix De Fer and Equillibrium, both of which fit fine. Which figures are you looking at to gauge your size?

vickster

Legendary Member
I must confess to being a bit confused about the sizing here. I'm 5'7 and have a 54cm Croix De Fer and Equillibrium, both of which fit fine. Which figures are you looking at to gauge your size?
Long body, short legs?

mythste

Veteran
Long body, short legs?

Not that I'm aware of! I recognise that the proportions are (typically) a bit different between ladies and gents but without digging for the OPs gender (which may or may not be relevant) I'm wondering which one of us has some as yet undiagnosed disfiguration that requires such a drastic difference in frame sizes!

Top Bottom