Croix de fer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
0C58D405-EEF0-4B82-A186-B20D34120EB2.png
The XS has a 52.4cm TT which wouldn’t be out of place for someone 5’7?

They appear to have a fairly short Seat tube for the TT length (my 53cm ST Boardman has an approx 55cm TT for example)

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

I've measured my colnago road by, a 45S and compared all the tube lengths with the croix de fer sizes on the genesis website. Checked again today, top tube is 2cm longer, seat tube 1cm longer, stand over height 1xm taller, chain stay 2cm longer. Compared to my road bike. I phoned them. Up and they said it sounds right. I'm 166cm, which is in the lower half of a small, or top end of an extra small. To be honest I think either will do with seat post adjustment. As long as it is too high to compensate. Does seem that the reach is longer than my road bike on an XS though so any longer could be uncomfortable. My road bike is very compact. Shop said I can return if I find it is too small.

I learnt a while back, when I got my first carbon bike that I was always riding bikes too big for me. I had an old carrera, in small. I sit on it now and the bars seem miles away.

Since then I have compared sized with my cube, which was fitted in a shop.

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

View attachment 468636 The XS has a 52.4cm TT which wouldn’t be out of place for someone 5’7?

They appear to have a fairly short Seat tube for the TT length (my 53cm ST Boardman has an approx 55cm TT for example)
Yeah the seat tube length is my only worry, not a fan of very compact frames, I do like a more horizontal bar and less seat tube. But I think they are all like that

vickster

Legendary Member
ED35695F-7F24-44A0-916C-8B5BF35046DF.png
Looks like Genesis have fiddled with the sizing nomenclature, as a 54cm TT Eq is now the small. It was just the 54cm when I got my 2014 frameset

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

Looking at old pictures the old frames have a more horizontal bar. Seems the frames have become. More compact over time hence the shorter seat tube.

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

Checked my cube that I rode for two years. Top tube 50, seat tube 47

What I have noticed on the XS is that the bars are only 40, I use 42, crank is 165, I use 170. And the stem is 100, I use 150, so I may need to make a few adjustments. Frame reach is longer so might not need to change stem.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Checked my cube that I rode for two years. Top tube 50, seat tube 47

What I have noticed on the XS is that the bars are only 40, I use 42, crank is 165, I use 170. And the stem is 100, I use 150, so I may need to make a few adjustments. Frame reach is longer so might not need to change stem.
A 15cm stem?! Maybe you do need a bigger bike

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

Just measured up my carrera which I use on a turbo. 52 top tube, same as CDF, seat tube 49. So less angle on the top tube. The bike has always felt a bit too big. Also has a 100 stem

There really isn't much in it. The XS croix de fer seems to be equivalent or bigger than all 3 bikes I own. Standover on CDF also a bit taller probably because of the higher bottom bracket

Last edited:

mythste

Veteran
This is really interesting. (Honestly!)

I imagine your Colnago will have a much shorter wheelbase as is the fashion with sporty bikes. do you run any stem spacers or is it slammed?

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

It is interesting isn't it! I've never looked at it in this detail. I've gone back to colnago. I have 45S which is designed for 5'6" - 5'7" so putting my mind at rest my race bike is the right size.

Im 166cm, in the middle.

Overall the frame stack is shorter on the colnago. Wheelbase is shorter yes.

Here is a photo

If anything my saddle is a touch too high. If I was fitted I think they would. Lower it a touch. Not many spacers. I'm not very flexible so the only way I can get aero is with hands on the hoods. I find drops uncomfortable generally, happier resting on the tops.

Obviously I won't have the bars set like that for the Croix de Fer. And the seat a bit lower. More comfortable.

Attachments

• DSC_0894.JPG
    DSC_0894.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 36

mythste

Veteran
Rigggght. I'm going to make some bold claims here and I'm happy for those with more knowledge than me to chime in and tell me I'm full of shoot.

I think you've gotten used to the wrong sized bike. There isnt a comfortable and a less comfortable saddle height. there is a right saddle height and many wrong ones. There is, however, a multitude of variety available on handlebar height, and if you cant use the drops, I would suggest your handlebars are too low in comparison to your saddle. If you consider keepnig the saddle where it is and raising the bars with a shorter (Not pro-level length) stem I think the answer is a bigger bike for comfortable riding. your reach is currently longer than you think it is because you are "reaching" down more than most. A few CM longer reach will be negated by a more relaxed overall position.

I re-iterate, this may be nonsense. By I'm thinking as logically as I can.

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

Possibly, and yet the measurement charts from genesis, colnago and cube, and bike shop, put me on that size bike. And when i ride my carrera, even with a 100 stem, it feels like I am over reaching.

Saddle may well be wrong. Its not uncomfortable. All I've done is drop the bars by half an inch so when I'm on the hoods it's slighty lower.

Not saying I'm right. Reason I'm questioning all this is v that I thought the XS dream from genesis seemed small. By measuring and comparing charts it seems it is actually bigger than both my cube and colnago, and is cost to my carrera.

I've ridden the Fred Whitton twice on my colnago, as well as other long ride , without any discomfort...

Incidentally, I was considering an Evans Arkose for a while. They only do a small aimed at 5-4 5-7. It's slightly bigger than the genesis all round. But not much in it

Last edited:
Top Bottom