Croix de fer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris Long

Hi

Posted a while back about possible adventure hikes.

After lots and lots and lots of looking and research it came down to two.

Pinnacle arkose d3
Genesis croix de fer

For different reasons too.

The pinnacle seems to be very good value and gets lots of good feedback. I wouldn't mind buying it. But I'm fed up of evans now. There is now a six week wait for the bikes, and this could be pushed back further.

So maybe this will force my hand to the croix de fer which I never thought I would go with, but as time has gone on I've researched them and love the idea of owning a decent steel frame. It seems like a workhorse of a bike that I could commute on (22 miles) go on trails and even with 28mm tyres do Sunday club runs with.

People tell me its steel, its heavy, but at 11.5kg for the 30, it's isn't far off the arkose.

Others are saying it isn't fast, but I'm kind of liking the idea that I don't need to do 22mph everywhere Nd I can enjoy the acenary.

I think the only thing that is stopping me is the external cable routing. Every cable runs outside the frame. Easy to access, but cleaning? Etc. Wondering if that will annoy me

Anyway, just chewing the cud.

Chris

Good afternoon,

My opinion is that all of the Croix De Fer range is over priced, I am an old bloke and I was brought on if it is not 531 then it is rubbish.

I said in another thread that I hated the gusset on the head tube tube/downtube and the cable ties on the downtube for the brake cable.

About a year ago I bought a carbon bile (sic) with Di2 because I wanted to know what modern tech felt like, I was not converted.

I have also added up what I spent on beer and Big Macs over a couple of months so buy it, enjoy it or regret it, but try it!

Bye

Ian

DRHysted

Guru
I have a Croix de Fer 20 from 2017 (or16) and love it. I did destroy the running gear in Scotland last year (this included mountain tracks and passes much more suitable for mountain bikes), so I converted it to sram 1x11.
It is my commuter (9 miles each way) with rack, full mudguards and dyno hub powering the lights (I got my wheel builder to simply replace the hub of the existing wheel).
It isn’t quick, my average speed has dropped from 17 to 13, but I’m not pushing to go quickly either.
The frame doesn’t feel heavy when you’re moving.

Unfortunately as you can tell I’m biased, so probably not a good person to ask.

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

That's all interesting.

I have a colnago crs as my road bike and race, so I'm relatively quick, but I want something different. All you can do on a race bike is go fast. Don't mind slower, although 13 mph for commuting may be a little slow for me :-/ unless u can swpp tyres round

I'm looking at the croix de fer 30, which dropped in price a bit

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I completed Tuscany Road on my Croix De Fer. 550km and 9500m ascent in 2 days. It was great.

I also know guys who have completed the Transcontinental Race on then.

It a very comfortable all day riding bike. For the price its a really good bike and will take anything you throw at it.

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

Good afternoon,

My opinion is that all of the Croix De Fer range is over priced, I am an old bloke and I was brought on if it is not 531 then it is rubbish.

I said in another thread that I hated the gusset on the head tube tube/downtube and the cable ties on the downtube for the brake cable.

About a year ago I bought a carbon bile (sic) with Di2 because I wanted to know what modern tech felt like, I was not converted.

I have also added up what I spent on beer and Big Macs over a couple of months so buy it, enjoy it or regret it, but try it!

Bye

Ian

So you prefer steel?

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Hi

I think the only thing that is stopping me is the external cable routing. Every cable runs outside the frame. Easy to access, but cleaning? Etc. Wondering if that will annoy me

Chris

As a Specialized AWOL owner, I LOVE external cables. Im a bit finiky about worn or dirty cables affecting my shifts so swap them regularly and being external makes it so easy.

Perhaps not so great on a race bike, but for a bike that going to be used in all conditions and might need them replaced in the field (literally), I would have external any day.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As an AWOL owner too I should explain that the cables are external but all are fully covered by outer their entire lengths but this might be an option for some bikes. Its is great on a tourer or gravel bike which is being used in harsh conditions.

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

I'm thinking that I want this bike to last. Steel just implies long term to me, and quality, if it is good enough steel. So off road and and other alternative rides, I'm not sure I'd feel happy smashing up a light alloy frame with carbon forks. Surely they won't last?

The croix has two unprotected cables by the looks of it, both of which seem to sit quite far away from the down tube. Other steel bikes seem to have better systems with them clipped in sleeves underneath. Maybe that isn't an issue

ChrisEyles

Guru
I really like the look of the croix de fer. I ride a similar-ish but lower spec steel frame Raleigh Royal and like it a lot.

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

As an AWOL owner too I should explain that the cables are external but all are fully covered by outer their entire lengths but this might be an option for some bikes. Its is great on a tourer or gravel bike which is being used in harsh conditions.

Is the awol the same as the sequoia?

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

Maybe I should look at others for a similar price. Croix de fer looks so traditional which I think is cool, but others seem to do the cable routing a hit better. It's the rear derailleur cable that worries me. In photos it seems to sit about a half inch away from the tube...

Top Bottom