Crossing the Humber Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Absolute nonsense. The Earth is flat, I have seen the evidence on youtube. In other news, masks don't work, coronavirus is a hoax, we live under a dome, the moon creates it's own light....
Actually, there isn't even a Humber Bridge... Some of us imagined that we cycled over such a bridge, but that is because aliens inserted fake memories in our brains through electrodes that they attached to our scalps before mating with us while we were asleep! :wacko:

classic33

Leg End Member
Actually, there isn't even a Humber Bridge... Some of us imagined that we cycled over such a bridge, but that is because aliens inserted fake memories in our brains through electrodes that they attached to our scalps before mating with us while we were asleep! :wacko:
Now I realise that Tod can be "odd" and it's in the UK's Area 51. However.....

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I read somewhere the towers of the bridge are angled inwards a few degrees to account for the curvature of the earth.

What I don't know if that's just so they appear vertical or whether they have to be built that way for the bridge to be stable and strong.

It's the same effect as when you erect those slotted fence posts and can't get the panel to slide all the way down between them.

Tom B

Guru
It's the same effect as when you erect those slotted fence posts and can't get the panel to slide all the way down between them.

The earth is obviously begetting larger because in the 17 years since mine were installed the all seem to have moved further apart at the top.

So much so I build me own panels Insitu.

lane

Veteran
BITD I used to take my bike over on the ferry :smile:

Blimey that takes me back. First ever cycle tour, camping with my brother when I was 16 and he was 14. Over on the ferry then via Beverley and Hornsea. We run out of money - think we spent it on the slot machines in Hornsea. Ended up buying a loaf of bread and bottle of tomato suace to keep us going it was all we had money for.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Returning to the bridge's profile (elevation) for a moment.
The Strava graphs in this thread really tell the story of the gradient.
Strava picks up / draws on the underlying elevation: ie that of the land underneath the bridge. Clearly the rider is not at 'ground level' while still on the bridge on the south side - but this is what @figbat's graph suggests.
On the north side the Strava section finishes where one comes off the bridge cycle path and the land is already at 20+ metres above datum (MHWS). On the south side, you come off where the land is only a few feet above sea level.
Riding over the Severn bridge throws up the same anomalies but less so as the heights (of the land below the bridge and the road level itself) at either end are similar.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Strava picks up / draws on the underlying elevation: ie that of the land underneath the bridge. Clearly the rider is not at 'ground level' while still on the bridge on the south side - but this is what @figbat's graph suggests.

I use Memory Map to plot my rides, based on digital OS maps. The elevation data is clearly that of the underlying terrain and not man-made objects. Here is the elevation profile that it gave me for the bridge...!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The preceding couple of posts have lost me, but from a cycling perspective it's a ruddy pull over the bridge from south to north, and fairly flat or downhill from north to south.

It was hard work the last time I went over which was from north to south, but that was largely due to a nasty cross/head wind.

Not sure, but I think @EasyPeez and @Supersuperleeds was with me on that occasion.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
The preceding couple of posts have lost me, but from a cycling perspective it's a ruddy pull over the bridge from south to north, and fairly flat or downhill from north to south.

It was hard work the last time I went over which was from north to south, but that was largely due to a nasty cross/head wind.

That's presumably a function of the approaches to the bridge from either side, rather than the profile of the suspension bridge itself being asymmetric (hence my original question).

Top Bottom