Crossing the Humber Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David645

Hi Guys
Anyone able to give advice please on crossing the Humber Bridge, in particular
  • Can you cross either side?
  • Is there a better side to cross taking into account wind direction and views?
Will be crossing from South to North (one way only), then onto Hull

Thanks

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Rode it a few times - only ever on the left (travelling South to North). And the cyclists travelling in the other direction used this side too.

Being a little inquisitive, in the summer 2019 (last ride), I went to the other side and whilst there appears to be a path, it was blocked off with explicit instructions to use the left side.

So, it would seem only one side is in use.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
use cycle.travel to show you the route - done it a couple of times on the left going north , cycle.travel will show you the best way to get on and off bridge as there is a lovely quiet way but a bit tricky to explain , on a map it looks like you spiral but worth doing as it takes you virtually traffic free

Can't give any advice, just admiration at a thing of beauty :okay:

Slioch

Guru
I've crossed numerous times in the last few years. Each time there has just been one of the cycle lanes open, and it's always been the one on the East (seaward) side.
It's popular with pedestrians, so it's a shared path. One time I did it there were a bunch of students crossing it on hands and knees for charity - pissed as farts most of them which was a laugh :laugh:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've crossed it quite a few times, but it always appears that only one side is open. I may be wrong & there may be times when both sides are open though:rolleyes: IMO the views are similar both sides, ie plenty of water & flat lands :okay: Hopefully the weather will be kind & will give you clear views which ever side you end up on, but be aware it's a bit of a climb from the south side, caught me by surprise on my 1st time :blush:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I reckon I've been over both sides in both directions, but as @Soltydog says, there is usually only one path open.

If you do have a choice, I think there's not much between the views from either path.

Worth being careful as you pass the two main towers - the path narrows and zig-zags to get around them.

Fairly easy to smack one of the towers or an oncoming (faster) cyclist, particularly if you are busy admirin' of the view.

Again as Solty says, it's quite a pull from south to north until you reach the crown of the bridge.

Not steep, but relentless - you cannot get any momentum going even on an ebike.

Another point about climbing is that from most directions there's quite a pull up towards the bridge before you drop down to the cycle path entrances which are at estuary level, off Far Ings Road on the google maps link below.

As regards views of the bridge rather than from it, the best of these are from the south side.

@Grant Fondo's pic earlier in the thread was taken from somewhere near the Waters' Edge Country Park, which is beside the estuary close to the eastern side of the bridge.

Easy access to the park from the entrances to the bridge cycle paths.

The park has a decent cafe with a small outside deck over the wetlands, so is a pleasant place for some pre-bridge crossing refreshment.

But it is another of those establishments that doesn't serve hot food much past 2.30pm, and closes entirely about 4pm.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Waters'+Edge+Country+Park+&+Visitor+Centre/@53.6963464,-0.4437548,16.63z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x47d6208f7c0160ad:0x6d447e9d82f130ff!2sHull!3b1!8m2!3d53.7676236!4d-0.3274198!3m4!1s0x4878eae3968cdbb9:0x5fd10b4ecc751bc7!8m2!3d53.6969891!4d-0.4418537

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Again as Solty says, it's quite a pull from south to north until you reach the crown of the bridge.

That's interesting. I must have pedalled over the (original) Forth Road Bridge hundreds of times in my youth - it never ocurred to me that the slope on one half of a suspension bridge could be steeper than on the other half.

OP
OP
D

David645

Thank you all. It's always good to get local knowledge and experienced views. Look forward to seeing the bridge (and Hull) in all it's glory in a couple of days.

Venod

Eh up
I have crossed many times, if I recall correctly both sides used to be open, but on recent crossing only one side has been open, looking at my Strava data it has been the East side, but I don't know the reasons or if both sides are now open.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The park has a decent cafe with a small outside deck over the wetlands, so is a pleasant place for some pre-bridge crossing refreshment.
Here is a photo that you took of the rest of our little group just after that, before we headed for the bridge on the 2016 forum ride...

And the storm brewing in the distance....

It hit us on the north side and was so intense that drivers had to switch their headlights on to see where they were going! :eek:

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I reckon I've been over both sides in both directions, but as @Soltydog says, there is usually only one path open.

If you do have a choice, I think there's not much between the views from either path.

Worth being careful as you pass the two main towers - the path narrows and zig-zags to get around them.

Fairly easy to smack one of the towers or an oncoming (faster) cyclist, particularly if you are busy admirin' of the view.

Not steep, but relentless - you cannot get any momentum going even on an ebike.

Another point about climbing is that from most directions there's quite a pull up towards the bridge before you drop down to the cycle path entrances which are at estuary level, off Far Ings Road on the google maps link below.

As regards views of the bridge rather than from it, the best of these are from the south side.

@Grant Fondo's pic earlier in the thread was taken from somewhere near the Waters' Edge Country Park, which is beside the estuary close to the eastern side of the bridge.

Easy access to the park from the entrances to the bridge cycle paths.

But it is another of those establishments that doesn't serve hot food much past 2.30pm, and closes entirely about 4pm.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Waters'+Edge+Country+Park+&+Visitor+Centre/@53.6963464,-0.4437548,16.63z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x47d6208f7c0160ad:0x6d447e9d82f130ff!2sHull!3b1!8m2!3d53.7676236!4d-0.3274198!3m4!1s0x4878eae3968cdbb9:0x5fd10b4ecc751bc7!8m2!3d53.6969891!4d-0.4418537
Wash your mouth out, best views from the South, yella belly land, you've got to be kidding, that's why it's best going South to North, that way you get away from them.

Top Bottom