Crowborough Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Long shot I know but has anyone ridden the bridleway that runs E-W across the map below. It's just to the East of Crowborough in E Sussex (the top of Kidd's Hill is top left).

I've Google-Streetview-ed both ends and it appears to be a decent (but not tarmac) surface but I have no idea what lies between them. And yes I have noticed that it's not flat. I've also checked out the RideWithGPS heatmap, and encouragingly there seem to be a few people to have ridden it.

1625044091373.png

Last edited:
Look on Geograph.

See here. Or here. There and also here. And here and here ...
A pretty route and well signposted, it seems. Too well? Apparently the area is partly MOD training and is littered with signs...

Geograph, of course. I didn't think of that. Thanks.

I'll give it a go. What could possibly go wrong? .... BOOM!

I did almost the entire length of the Welsh/English borders with my pony in 2007 with very few issues, largely by using Geograph combined with OS maps, and local knowledge wherever available. Met some wonderful people, too!

I have had too many horse-journeys which have almost ended in disaster, and which have certainly had to be much re-routed, because of condition/inaccessibility/unusability of an essential bridleway - even when there were precisely zero problem reports about it on a county's definitive map. Correct information when travelling by equine-powered transport is vital. You can't take a horse to pieces and put it into a bus or taxi, or lift it over a barbed wire fence or locked gate which blocks your way. Nor can you take its front legs off to get it through a narrow barrier bit by bit ...
Crossing or travelling along, a dual carriageway or similar is even more dangerous and unpleasant on a horse than it is on a bike. The bridleway network is fragmented to say the least and 'lobby groups' such as Sustrans have done a great deal of damage to it, while providing almost no further usable (to horses) mileage of bridleways. Their so called multi-use tracks seem, in the main, to be specifically designed to be off-putting or even inaccessible to horses - even when said track is actually based on and around a bridleway route. I have come across some simply ridiculous things on sustrans routes - routes which had been perfectly acceptable bridleways before that lot took them over and built barriers that horses couldn't get through, 'improved' bridges so that horses couldn't/wouldn't cross them and surfaced tracks with slippery, lethal, totally inappropriate surfaces ... fortunately that was a shortlived phase but the legacy lives on and so-called multi-use paths are vanishingly-rarely so in practice.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Long shot I know but has anyone ridden the bridleway that runs E-W across the map below.
I'll give it a go. What could possibly go wrong? .... BOOM!
This kind of thing...? :whistle:

That is my pal Carrie last week NO LONGER on the bridleway that we were exploring on road bikes... We took the wrong fork in the wood and ended up deep in bramble bushes and closely spaced trees! It took us over an hour to push through to where that picture was taken. The road that we were looking for was across a field beyond the top of that slope, and over a couple of barbed wire fences.

PS And the bridleway had become a quagmire halfway along it...

Top Bottom