Crud guards - are they ever quiet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use crud mk2s on my winter bike, which has full mudguard clearance. I prefer them to full guards, they are lighter (as it happens) and the protection is just as good, if not better, IMO. No issues with rattling, rubbing, or catastrophic rim failure due to hostile brush action....

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
It's worth taking a good look at your bike, when I came to fit my race blades I found mounts for proper mudguards. Doh!

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
so far so good with my new race blades. The only thing is that with big feet in overshoes I tend to clip the front wire support when the wheel is turned on getting off the bike but its just me needing to be more aware. They do move a bit and need re positioning after each ride.

I have not tried brushing them twenty four hours a day. If I did, I'm pretty sure that my dentist would notice an almost complete loss of enamel.

If you rode 24hrs a day, rim wear would be the least of your problems.

400bhp

Guru
You know when someone says something ludricrous and they won't admit they've said something ludicrous...

This thread.
:laugh:

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Some draught-excluder feedback. After 3 biking days on the Road Racer 2's, the little strips haven't fallen off yet, and have all but eliminated the friction noises. They've squashed down to little compacted strips of foam rubber, and don't make contact with the rims when stationary, but as the mudguard starts flapping around at speed, the rubber just bounces off the rim and stops the plastic hitting the tyre, which is what causes all the noise.

They still look like they won't last, but for £1.99 I must have got enough draught-excluder to replace them 100 or more times. A stop-gap solution I know but oh it's good to have a quiet bike again.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I use crud mk2s on my winter bike, which has full mudguard clearance. I prefer them to full guards, they are lighter (as it happens) and the protection is just as good, if not better, IMO. No issues with rattling, rubbing, or catastrophic rim failure due to hostile brush action....
I am going to have to agree with you an another subject again :smile:
My cruds do not rub or flap, the only issue i have had in at least 3 years is the front guard wore through whee the clip holds it too the brake bridge but that might be because i had it too loose to start with so it had room to wiggle.

I am going to have to agree with you an another subject again :smile:
My cruds do not rub or flap, the only issue i have had in at least 3 years is the front guard wore through whee the clip holds it too the brake bridge but that might be because i had it too loose to start with so it had room to wiggle.

You know it makes sense ;)

The only issue I've had is one of the plastic nuts going missing on a ride, resulting in the rear mudguard stay coming adrift. But it didn't actually cause an issue and didn't need a roadside repair - I just replaced it when I got home.

Top Bottom