Crud Roadracer Mk2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Move the join 2cm towards the seat tube and they'd fit fine - pissed off. 

the only solution would be to run the cable tie around the rear brake bolt over the top of the bridge and then through the guard hole - this would clearly lead to severe rubbing of cable tie against carbon frame - perhaps if I put protective 'inner tube' over the carbon it could work.
How about superglueing or bolting a small piece of plastic to the guard where you'd like to fit the tie and attaching it through that?

PS Er, or do what Phil suggested! ;)

e-rider

crappy member
the superglue idea would work in theory but I can't see it holding for very long - don't really want the mudguard to drop down when I'm out on a ride.

e-rider

crappy member
Mr Crud just told me to try filing them down

No explaination to why beefed-up plastic is used in an area of minimum clearance though - poor design I'd say.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Mr Crud just told me to try filing them down

No explaination to why beefed-up plastic is used in an area of minimum clearance though - poor design I'd say.
Don't forget that they are now hanging a much bigger piece of plastic off the back on the Mk2s than they did on the original Roadracers. If Crud hadn't beefed the design up then they'd probably have people complaining about the guards breaking or flopping about more. Mind you - if you can file them down to get them to fit and then they don't break, then you could argue that they must have been thicker than they needed to be to start with!

Crud do listen to customers - that's where the Mk2s design came from. If some of you are getting them to fit by filing the guards down a bit, then perhaps a skinnier Mk3 version might eventually emerge? Mind you, I imagine it must cost a lot of money to retool for a new design.

I think it is pretty impressive to achieve what they have done. Our bikes weren't designed to have mudguards fitted and I was surprised that Crud managed to get them small enough to squeeze in. A bit frustrating when they are just too big though, as in your case.

Mine make noises when grit gets trapped under the guards, but I accept it because the clearance is inevitably going to be minimal.

MessenJah

Rider
I just searched for these mudguards and one of the google results is "Crud Roadracer Mk2 - Cycle Chat Cycling Forums - Page 1.66666666667"

can you have one and two thirds of a page?

e-rider

crappy member
in the end I did manage to get these fitted without rubbing on my fopcus cayo. The clearance is probably less than 1mm but I just went out for 35 miles and they seemed OK. A few leaves making some rubbing noises but on the whole they were fairly quiet - quite happy in the end. The spray protection is generally very good.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My front one has been fine from day one on my TCR, as was the rear until I swapped tyres from a worn PR3 to a Bontihardcase (23c) which is just a tad bigger. Been a bugger when wet with grit rubbing and crud build-up. Anyway, moved the stays around a bit and then used a thick Halfrauds puncture patch under the fixing on the rear stay which gives an added 1mm of clearance too. Now it works really well. Just a bit of tweaking and a bit more clearance has made a huge difference.

I agree, the chap at Crud is very helpful. They're only a very small operation!

Top Bottom