cruel sea Penlee lifeboat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point

this day 1981. I was a 9 yr old boy and woke up on 20th to the horrendous news

still makes me shiver today.

The cox'n knew they were unlilely to come back, hence only one guy from each family being selected. not one of them said " no way skipper, we are not going out tonight" that is bravery.

8pm tonight the lights go off in my house for an hour ..

byegad

Legendary Member
I remember it well.

swansonj

Guru
I'd be interested in the views of those here with mountain rescue experience.

When you scan incident reports from mountain rescue teams, it is not unheard of to read that a search was called off overnight, because the risk of harm to MR personnel in atrocious weather outweighed the chances of finding the missing persons in that same atrocious weather. In other words, in MR, the philosophy "we will always go out no matter how much the odds seem stacked against us" seems, in the most extreme and marginal situations, to have been replaced by a more managerial, calculated approach.

Needless to say, all personnel, MR or lifeboat, have my unstinting admiration.

Last edited:

PK99

Legendary Member

this day 1981. I was a 9 yr old boy and woke up on 20th to the horrendous news

still makes me shiver today.

The cox'n knew they were unlilely to come back, hence only one guy from each family being selected. not one of them said " no way skipper, we are not going out tonight" that is bravery.

8pm tonight the lights go off in my house for an hour ..

Thank you for posting that. Just watched it all the way through - very moving story of very impressive people

OP
OP
subaqua

subaqua

What’s the point

classic33

Leg End Member
It's become too easy to "get out there", with the expectation that help is just a phonecall away should things go wrong.

Top Bottom