Cruise control yes or no ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Best I achieved was joining the M1 at Sheffield, down to the A42, onto the M42, then onto the M5 to the services just as it joins the M50, all cruise control (not ACC) never touched a pedal the whole way.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Nope. What little driving I do is on country roads that have several sharpish bends so I think it would be a waste of time. Presume I would need to keep switching it off and on?

figbat

Slippery scientist
I'm no expert, so happy to be corrected, but as I understand it, the danger is, that it's not always the full stretch that's covered, so even though for the full distance you're under the average, it can ping you if your average between the two live cameras is over the limit.
That’s the way I treat it. I allow myself an inward eye roll when I see people steam up to the camera post, slow down to the limit, then speed off again once past. Do they not teach distance/time/speed at school any more?

byegad

Legendary Member
Nope. What little driving I do is on country roads that have several sharpish bends so I think it would be a waste of time. Presume I would need to keep switching it off and on?
Yes, my ACC changes speed by 5 mph on the push of a button, up, or down, in the middle of those buttons is the off button. All are under my thumb as I hold the wheel. While in plain CC the up and down speed adjust by 1mph for each push. I've used it once to see how it works.
For a corner I may reduce speed by 5, 10 or more mph, or switch it off early, and let the car coast, regenerating power for the traction battery into the corner then reapply the ACC to economically return me to cruising speed.

gbb

Legendary Member
That’s the way I treat it. I allow myself an inward eye roll when I see people steam up to the camera post, slow down to the limit, then speed off again once past. Do they not teach distance/time/speed at school any more?
Or even worse (not cruise control related tbf) are drivers that approach a speed camera at the correct speed, then suddenly slow down to under the limit. You see this on the A1 a lot.

I used it to travel along at motorway speeds to Center Parcs Nottingham. My scenic also has a speed limiter option which I tend to use in roadworks or in built up areas with cameras (particularly Shipley area if visiting relatives), it’s nice to take the weight off my right foot and to concentrate on the road without having to monitor speed too. What I like about renaults systems is it speeds up slightly going up hill to keep it at a constant 70mph.

D

Deleted member 26715

Yes, my ACC changes speed by 5 mph on the push of a button, up, or down, in the middle of those buttons is the off button. All are under my thumb as I hold the wheel. While in plain CC the up and down speed adjust by 1mph for each push. I've used it once to see how it works.
For a corner I may reduce speed by 5, 10 or more mph, or switch it off early, and let the car coast, regenerating power for the traction battery into the corner then reapply the ACC to economically return me to cruising speed.
Or you simply just touch the brakes which switches it off

figbat

Slippery scientist
Or you simply just touch the brakes which switches it off
I have a thing about this. I will try my utmost to never disable CC through braking. I try to plan ahead and see if/when the CC needs to be paused and do so using the steering wheel button, then resume when appropriate. In my little world, using the brake means I have failed to anticipate. Dabbing brakes on fast routes (motorways, dual carriageways etc) can set up a ripple effect back through the traffic.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Where I live it would just be waste of space having it. I rarely use motorways nowadays and the nearest one anyway is about 100 miles away. Even the main roads on the west coast mainland it would be impossible to use due to the volume of traffic and other constant hazards.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Or even worse (not cruise control related tbf) are drivers that approach a speed camera at the correct speed, then suddenly slow down to under the limit. You see this on the A1 a lot.

My dad, who thankfully has stopped driving entirely almost proudly said he always went 10mph under when he saw a camera. Must have endeared him greatly to those following. He was a pretty slow driver and entirely law-abiding anyway (fair enough) but the logic of this escaped me - somehow he seemed to think he was somehow sticking it to the government or some such

Last edited:
Reactions: gbb

DRM

Guru
My car has it, it’s not much good around here as the roads of all classes are just too busy, but the speed limiter side of it is great for roadworks, set at the limit and you control the speed ,but it won’t go past what you set it too until it’s cancelled, however on the French autoroutes it’s a god send

DRM

Guru
That’s because they are as thick as two short planks, these idiots need fining

Top Bottom