Crying In Public.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Arch said:
A couple of months ago, on a train home from Winchester, when we stopped at Sheffield, I spotted a woman crying her eyes out on a bench on the platform. She had a suitcase, so I guess she was going somewhere. Nothing I could do, stuck on the train, and people around were just ignoring her.

For some reason we sat there for about 10 minutes, but I had no way of knowing if I had time to get off and back on, so I sat there, watching her, and trying not to. Everyso often she'd wipe her eyes, sigh and seem Ok for moment, then she'd be in tears again. I really felt for her. Was she on her way to a funeral or dying relative? Had she just run away from a bad marriage? Broken up with a boyfriend? Was she just very, very unhappy? I'll never know, but I'll always wonder, and hope she felt better soon. Was there anything I could have done? I doubt it, but it made me feel very sorry for her.
knock on the window loudly, and mouth "MIGHT NEVER 'APPEN!" :blush:

Nice one Tdr1nka.

yenrod

'ad me emotional times - NEVER EVER be without sunglasses.. had many emotional times once coming back from somewhere' on the bike and just pulled over...(its impossible to ride and cry I found)

At the end of the day like somone said on ere...its your prob not theirs...if you want to cry so be can they stop you can you be arrested for it...even though alot of people think im a twat its amazing how heartless they can be!

chris5y

I remember whilst working as a photographer a few years ago,a friend asked me to lend my camera to photograph there still born baby.I said yes and showed him how to work it,but knew by his expression he hadn't a clue,so I asked him if he would like me to do it.He said yes please,I kept telling myself its just a job, and it would help them come to terms with the death.I had done work for the hospital on many occasions (none like this) so it was ok with them.Anyhow I photographed the baby and said to myself she's asleep its just a job and managed to get through it.Later that night I went for a pint and the landlady knew what I'd done as she was related to them, and she thanked me saying it must have been hard to do,at that moment I broke down in tears and Im not ashamed to admit it,and I couldn't have been in a more public place.You never know whats around the corner,and as far as Im concerned let it flow it doesn't make you hard not crying,it just bottles up inside you.Theres no shame whatsoever.

stephec

Legendary Member
domtyler said:
I am struggling to think of the circumstances that could make a grown man cry in public. I don't think I have cried for many, many years even in private, guess I'm just not that bothered about anything really. If something terrible happened to my wife or daughter then I might I guess.

I bet you couldn't watch The Railway Children, or Watership Down, without crying at the end though!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
stephec said:
I bet you couldn't watch The Railway Children, or Watership Down, without crying at the end though!

:angry::biggrin::biggrin:

I think I may have told this story before but when I was about seventeen or eighteen I was watching "Gorillas in the mist" at home on a Friday afternoon, it was just after the bit where the woman finds her gorillas hacked to bits in the jungle that my mum came in and asked if I wanted a cup of tea and when I said yes please my voice was all cracked up, I insist that it was simply because I hadn't spoken for a while and I had a dry throat but my mum still loves to tell the story at every available opportunity! :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
stephec said:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I have to admit, that moment when Jenny Agutter shouts "Daddy, my Daddy!"... I'm filling up now just thinking about it. And I'm not one who cries at films and stuff like that a lot. There's just something about the scene setting, music, the steam, and the tone of her voice that sets me off. And I thin, although it's now almost a reflex, so it's hard to analyse, it's the way she says 'my daddy', that really clinches it.

MP, amazing story.

Chris, that's a wonderful thing to have done. I can't begin to imagine the sorrow of a still born baby. Friend of mine lost her dad this year, and she was trying to console herself with the fact that three people she knew were due to have babies - in a 'circle of life' kind of way. When one of them was still born, it really upset her, so god knows what it must do to parents.

My best friend, brother, mum and husbanddescribe me as their 'rock' largely because I do a lot of my crying on my own when other people have crap they need to deal with.

When I've blarted in public I've found people to be really helpful! It's only really happened twice - once when I'd been dumped very unexpectedly (I was on a train when I lost it, and the conducter asked me if I wanted to sit in first class!) and another when I was sitting outside casualty when my current other half had had a really bad accident. People were really nice - bought me cups of tea, tissues, reassuring hand on the shoulder, that kind of thing...

I also have a good cry when people tell me they're ill. A couple of close friends recently have had breakdowns/depression and cos I've been there myself in the past I cried out of sympathy. My aunt is currently awaiting diagnosis on suspected pancreatic cancer, which is really harsh too, cos once the symptoms emerge, its usually too late.

At weddings and funerals etc I like to try and keep it together, and do so by thinking about Margaret Thatcher, who makes my blood boil...! Recently I gave the reading (a very emotional/devotional poem) at my brother's wedding, and they'd had such a nightmare with it all (wifes parents absolute bastards), the whole church was blubbing, I struggled, but Margaret got me through it. :biggrin:

Canrider

Guru
Shamefully, the only movies that make my cry are, ahem, war films. Saving Private Ryan, every time. :rolleyes:
(But Mr Paul's story did it for me too)

Top Bottom