Crying In Public.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aint Skeered

Just trying to lighten the mood a bit!:sad:

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
I am struggling to think of the circumstances that could make a grown man cry in public. I don't think I have cried for many, many years even in private, guess I'm just not that bothered about anything really. If something terrible happened to my wife or daughter then I might I guess.

Well, you are a very lucky person. I hope it stays that way for you.

often find myself having a bit of a blub, there just seems to be a lot for me to be emotional about these days. while i wouldn't go out of my way to make my crying sessions available for public view, if that happens then so be it. this time last year my partners mum died and i was asked by her dad to come up with a few lines for the paper. a bus full of people watched me blubbing like a baby as i thought how i could sum up there 60 years together. i don't think crying in public is wrong, but rather it's difficult to know how to respond to something you don't see very often. generally such situations make us feel uncomfortable and uneasy. so we tend not to want to deal with why that made us feel that way, and simply label that behaviour as wrong or odd.

cheers velocidad ;)

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:

I guess I have a pretty detached view of life nowadays, I tend to see things from a distance and analyse them in quite a cold and unemotional way. Don't really know whether this means I am lucky though? ;)

Arch said:

I think that feeling sad emotions and crying are not necessarily linked. Some people never cry, no matter how sad they are. Others cry readily, often for trivial reasons. I suspect that it's part of people's make up, like the tendency to blush.

domtyler

Über Member
Patrick Stevens said:
I think that feeling sad emotions and crying are not necessarily linked. Some people never cry, no matter how sad they are. Others cry readily, often for trivial reasons. I suspect that it's part of people's make up, like the tendency to blush.

I often burst out laughing at some cheesy bit of telly and turn to see my wife with tears streaming down her face!;)

OP
OP
walker

walker

My Mrs Will cry at any event be it on TV or elsewhere, I fail to find the reason behind it myself. She will cry at films, even though I tell her it's not real

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
I guess I have a pretty detached view of life nowadays, I tend to see things from a distance and analyse them in quite a cold and unemotional way. Don't really know whether this means I am lucky though? ;)

I meant you are lucky you haven't had anything so miserable happen to you as to make you cry. Like you said, if you lost your wife or daughter, I suspect you might find it harder to be cold and emotional.

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
I meant you are lucky you haven't had anything so miserable happen to you as to make you cry. Like you said, if you lost your wife or daughter, I suspect you might find it harder to be cold and emotional.

Oh yes, sorry I forgot about that. ;)
Sorry

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I know what you mean. If theres someone crying, it normally makes me very uncomfortable, dont know what to say to someone crying. I dont cry, i'm more of a quiet person, i will listen and watch something then think about it. I suppose i'm abit cold hearted because i havent cried at a funeral, even when its been someone in my close family. Might be different if it were my parents though.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I guess I try not to cry in public, but sometimes, something just comes to mind, a memory or an image and I can feel the lump in my throat and the eyes welling up. And I try to supress it, because I don't want people to feel awkward around me. I've been doing it a lot more in the last 8 months, since Tom died. Sometimes it's the daftest little thing that sets me off.

Happening now in fact, just thinking about crying.

<sniff>

Ho hum.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
There should be no shame in crying in public, or in private.

Grieving is perfectly natural and should be expressed openly, most other cultures do this.

It is only in Dear Old Blighty that people have to hide anything remotely emotional for the sake of appearences and worse still saving others from embarrasment.

Well b*gger that!

I cried continually for 3 days when I had my breakdown, at home and in public, but then again I wasn't embarressed because at that point I really didn't care!

This country remains emotionally repressed and continues to do nothing to promote any common level of empathy among it's people.

Arch, never feel you shouldn't express your grief openly. Other peoples embarressment is their own problem.

Here, *hands Arch a hankey*.

T x

col

Legendary Member
I believe crying is a natural way of relieving upset,sadness.But finding myself in the situation of the last couple of weeks,i suppose i have relieved the sadness very well.Trying to be the strong one almost went out of the window the other day,but you do feel a sense of relief,once you have let it go.If you dont cry when it seems obvious thats what s trying to happen,it gets bottled up,and manifests itself in other ways,thats my belief for what its worth.

Top Bottom